T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone with experience using both of these methods. What is the benefit of one over the other. It seems that starting a screen printing business would be way too costly in comparison to just ordering plastisol transfers if the quality is close. How do they compare in quality and washability?

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The main thing about plastisol is that it takes a few tried to get the settings just right so that it'll transfer correctly, but it does seem to be about as good as a screen print from what I've seen. And yes, it would be _much_ cheaper than starting a screen printing shop, though you could go cheaper still (for initial investment) by outsourcing screen printing and such.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jdr8271 said:
They are nearly as good quality as screen printing. The main advantage is that you can print just the number you need as the orders come in...plus they are cheap.
JDR, what do you mean they're not as good quality? I've read they wash well, and from what I've seen, they look good. What is the negative?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sarsi said:
Hi all, I'm new here..

Is plastisol transfer the same as heat transfer?
The plastisol process is essentially like this: you get a screen printer to print some transfers for you on to a carrier paper (you can do this through a few companies online). Then you apply the transfer to the t-shirt with a heat press, similar to the way you would transfer a regular heat transfer. The difference being, the plastisol transfers only transfer the ink (and not the rest of the paper) so it feels more like a screen print. Also, because of this, you can print on to any color shirt, instead of only lights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Twinge said:
The plastisol process is essentially like this: you get a screen printer to print some transfers for you on to a carrier paper (you can do this through a few companies online). Then you apply the transfer to the t-shirt with a heat press, similar to the way you would transfer a regular heat transfer. The difference being, the plastisol transfers only transfer the ink (and not the rest of the paper) so it feels more like a screen print. Also, because of this, you can print on to any color shirt,
instead of only lights.
I would also like to add the benifit of not having to trim around your design. Cuts out alot of time if youur doing any kind of quantity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks!

How much does it cost to get the screen printer to print a plastisol transfer? How many print can one plastisol transfer paper made?

For heat transfer.. is it one transfer paper for one print only? We can't use one paper for many prints?

Sorry for the seem too easy question.. I'm new and have not tried my hands on any printing methods..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts