T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used plastisol transfers from silver mt. I am waiting for samples. I have a school that needs 300 but not all at one time and I do not do screen printing. I don't know how many they will order at a time. So I thought this might be my best bet as most are colored. anything I should know about plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Plastisol

badalou said:
Has anyone used plastisol transfers from silver mt. I am waiting for samples. I have a school that needs 300 but not all at one time and I do not do screen printing. I don't know how many they will order at a time. So I thought this might be my best bet as most are colored. anything I should know about plastisol transfers.
Plastisol transfers are the best kind of transfers. You're heading in the right direction, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

I dont like silver mntn's transfers. Their screen printing is not as crisp as other companies, and they dont transfer as well. For the price/quality, first-edition.com is the way to go in my opinion. I like first-editions.com's transfers with adhesive crystals. They are .10 extra, but a thousand times easier than regular plasticol transfers (which are very finicky.)

·
Registered
76 Posts

badalou said:
Thanks for that info. I have samples coming from Image setters also. So why are the transfers finicky. What special care should I know. Lou
Transfers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some use quality inks, some don't. A lot of heat transfer companies screw their transfers up during the oven process of drying the inks. In my experience, and I'm a high-volume manufacturer, the oven process is the make or break point in quality heat transfers.

Try printing in the league of charge-backs. You better deliver a quality product or you're going to take a hit in the wallet.

--

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

From my experience, slvr mntn graphics transfers do not transfer well. You will see though when you get the samples. For me, slvr mountains transfers, did not transfer completely. You could see the color of the shirt through the transfers, and the printing had raggedy edges.

On the other hand, first-editions transfer are WONDURFULL. They transfer completely on the first try. No messing with temp, time, and pressure like you will have to do with slvr mntns. Alot of people on this forum who use slvr mntns transfers reccomend using rolling pins and other methods to get them to work. I tried it all, and couldnt get them to work right. I already had high expectations from using first-edition in the past. Slvr mntn just didnt deliver the goods. Another company to try is Howard graphics (866-695-8195). They have a qualityproduct as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts

I have had some of the same issues with SMG but they have been very helpful and reprinted orders if necessary. They also started using doing my orders with a different paper that releases cleanly without all that rubbing. This paper can only be used for single color prints though.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

No... I was hopeing today.. I don't know how these people ship.. I am getting samples from 3 different companies. My UPS delivery is about 3 PM everyday and it is 2:19 now. I will let you know. I think I will examine the product and do some testing and photos so you guys can see the result. I can't say where though cause Rodney is keeping his eye on me..

·
Registered
282 Posts

Lou, not a problem at all with Dowling Graphics opaque transfers.

They were only company I found that had oversized sheets and let you gang away DIFFERENT IMAGES!:)

If you don't need the images die cut, you can gang up even more! :)

They also have monthly specials...I think I got my film charge for half off.
Plus if you need to order more...it'll cost less. They keep the film, but re-use their screens.

Ask for Diane...800-749-6933. I'm Susan H. from Altadena.

Also...good reading about Plastisol at unionink.com (click on articles).

·
Registered
282 Posts

If you are picky about your inks and need lots of choices...you might want to try versastranz.com.

They are quite a bit more expensive but folks on another group have reported in as happy customers.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Image Setters??? Is this a company?
I googled it but can't find a website.
Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
Is this type of technology as good as regular screenprinting?

·
Registered
35 Posts

I contacted SMG a couple of times and never got a return call, finally spoke with someone who had very poor customer service skills. Asked that I email him my designs. I emailed him my designs and he said that he would give me a quote on the gang order. 3 months later and no callback. I contacted first-editions and got a caal-back in less than 24 hrs. Justed based on customer service I would go with first-editions over SMG.

·
Registered
50 Posts

My recent experience with SMG wasn't great either.

I emailed them my stuff on a Wednesday and was told I would have my proofs by Friday. Friday came, I got nothing. So I called and was told they are really busy, but would have it by mid week. I waited until Friday - still nothing, so I emailed them to cancel my order.

I actually got a call back and was told the proofs were emailed to me two days ago. I asked him to re-email me and he did. The proofs look nothing like the originals I sent. Sloppy details and missing some of the characters.

I told him I wasn't pleased, and he offered to re-do the proofs. At this point, I've wasted so much time, I had decided to look else where. That's when I found this thread.

I went with Howard Sportwears. Great customer service, I asked for a sample pack and got it in two days. They are more expansive than SMG, but I’m getting my transfers next week.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Aimee

1 - 20 of 482 Posts