T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I love this site and have been reading, researching, etc. for several months. I have been in the business for about a year (part-time still but really want to do it full-time). I have had some success in South Carolina getting our shirts in malls, outdoor shops, marinas, and gift stores. I have also had a little success on ebay, but I only have a sample of my designs on there for now (just trying to build my feedback and learn how to run the store for now). I learned at the beginning, that I need to really print my own shirts to make a decent profit, so I have been learning screen-printing, marketing, website stuff, legal stuff, and on and on. I recently bought an R Jennings 4 color 4 station press and exposure unit. I am getting ready to buy a flash unit, conveyor dryer and a HEAT PRESS. Right now I have about 300 plus designs in the art department that I am waiting to burn screens for. I also have my domain registered but waiting to get the designs done first. Okay sorry for the long opening but to get to the point now.......................................

I am just learning about plastisol transfers and I am a little confused. So let me break these questions down

1. are they better quality than inkjet transfers

2. Do you screenprint from a typical press on the transfers just like you would on a shirt (different screens for different colors, registration, curing, etc.)

3. How is this more beneficial than actual screen-printing if you are doing the same work with the press, just adding another process later on.

Thanks in advance for any responses

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll try and answer these questions.....I don't consider myself an expert on plastisol transfers, but understand the process.

1. Depending on the graphic....they are much better than inkjet transfers, and will last years longer.

2. Yes, you use the same equipment to print plastisol transfers as you do printing the actual shirt. The diference being you reverse the graphic....and semi cure each color BEFORE laying down the next color. Most guys use a vacuum shirt board to hold the sheet in place. The real trouble can be with registration on multi color graphics....you just need to have a system in place that assures the sheet goes back on the shirt board in EXACTLY the same place.

3. The benefit of using plastisol transfers is that you don't have to print shirts on speculation. You are only putting the graphic on a piece of paper as opposed to a shirt that may never sell. If you want to print to order, and are selling single shirts on the net, it is a great way to go. Imagine setting up a 4 color job (burning the screens, getting registration right, etc) to make just one shirt. If you have the transfers made in advance you can easily fill single orders with very little hassle. If you plan on having 300 hundred designs you certainly don't want the expense of carrying that many screens in your library. By making transfers (say 50 each) of the designs you want to sell you basically become a fulfillment machine. When a particular graphic gets down to 10....you print 50 more.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Roger Jennings. He is a nice guy.....that really knows his stuff. I'm sure he would be more than happy to walk you through the process over the phone.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Plastisol will give you better quality that Inkjet transfers is made and applied correctly.

The process to create plastiosl transfers is essentially the same as screen printing as far as I know -- you're just screen printing on to paper instead of a shirt.

The main advantage of plastisol transfers is that you can order them from a company that makes them WITHOUT having to own expensive screening equipment and printing them yourself. The other nice advantage is that you can still partially print shirt son demand -- if someone orders a large, you can print right on to a large, instead of having to guess what sizes and/or colors people want in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much. It is actually starting to make sense to me..........meaning I can see how beneficial it could be. I will have our designs online and most of our shirts so far are 1 color front with a 2 color back. This would totally eliminate alot of screen frames hanging around the shop. I will keep researching. Also, I bought a heat press last evening. It is an older National model, great condition though. I really wanted a swing away but I couln't beat the price. If you are patient, you can get great equipment at really good prices. Thanks again for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts