T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a such thing as Blank Plastisol Transfer paper, i have an ink jet printer now, someone said to get a laser jet color, with special paper to do custom cut out free transfers.

thank you

Perry

JPR Trends

·
Registered
43 Posts
By the past couple of posts, I think we need to clarify the different types of transfers. I am by no means an expert, but I've done a quite a bit of researching on this in the past.

The differences types are:
- Plastisol: This is more or less screenprinting onto a special transfer paper. When pressed, the plastisol ink releases onto the shirt. There is no cutting and no 'hand' after pressing because the carrier does not transfer to the shirt. Great for dark and light shirts. These you would most likely send off to get made for you because specialty printers would be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

- Ink Jet/Color laser: These are the transfers you can send through your average printers. Afterwards, you need to trim around the design and you will still have remnants of the carrier come off on the shirt which is the 'hand' that you can feel on the shirt. Great for whites, and they have special papers for black/darks but not as good as Plastisols.

- Sublimation: This is a process where the design colors are turned into a gas when pressed that actually dyes the fabric/material color creating 'no' hand and long lasting, durable products (because the color in IN the material, not simply sitting on top of it). This setup need special sublimation inks for the printer and doesn't work on 100% cotton (some claim it does with special prep to the shirt, you be the judge). The shirts need to be contain a majority of synthetic fabric (polyester/spandex) to work well. NOTE* Because you are dying the actual fabric, you can not go lighter in color. You can only dye the shirt a darker color, so you can't make light blue designs on dark navy shirts.

That's far from everything, but it's a good basic understanding.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brilliant!

That's so helpful. I now have a clear understanding of the different types of transfers available and it also clears up what kind to use for detailed designs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
DesignSource said:
- Plastisol: This is more or less screenprinting onto a special transfer paper. When pressed, the plastisol ink releases onto the shirt. There is no cutting and no 'hand' after pressing because the carrier does not transfer to the shirt. Great for dark and light shirts. These you would most likely send off to get made for you because specialty printers would be MUCH cheaper in the long run.
I hate to be picky but saying plastisol has no hand is not entirely accurate. You can still feel the ink in much the same way you can still feel the carrier with opaque inkjet transfers. The difference is minimal.

B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts