T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,448 Posts
I agree...opaque hot peels work everytime for me. The only coldpeel transfer I have is a highly glossy butterfly with shimmering inks in it. The transfer looks great and I can only surmise its because of the inks and gloss that makes it a cold peel. I dont think if I were ordering custom transfer I would want cold peel normally.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
My hot-split transfers always leave ink on the paper...thats the whole point isnt it? The inks split during the transfer process. They work very well...never really had much learning curve pressing them either. The cold peel tansfer I described works as well but the feel of the print is very different than say screen printing or hot-split images. I think the wash care is different as well. My girlfriend liked the image...we tried it and it sold so we order them.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
I think maybe hot-peel and hot-split plastisol transfers could be a different monkey altogether. Hot-split, splits the ink...and on the used transfer paper there is always an image left. I press medium pressure at 370-380 degrees for 8-10 seconds and it works perfect every time. Out of maybe 200 recent pressings of maybe 5 different companys stock images I had 2 less than perfect results. Like Lucy said....fast is what I dig about em...dont even think between pressings or wait on the press temp to be exact...just go go go.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
I get hot peel, simulated process(litho matt finish) and a couple cold peel all stock transfers. Favorite is hot peel for black or white shirts which is all we sell. The instructions do say a shorter dwell time on black shirts may produce a more opaque finish. All my dwell times for cold or hot are 8-12 seconds around 380 degrees. Those simulated process transfers from X-it are very nice. I wonder what they cost to produce and how the art needs to be rendered?

I think most sports team jerseys are done with vinyl. I think transfer express may offer both vinyl and plastisol for numbers but not sure.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
T-BOT said:
Not sure how X-It makes them (I dont think Clarke will share that with you, may be, he is a nice Guy :) Canadian too).

David, are you talking about FULL color or SPOT color designs to print on all FABRIC colors ? (hot peel w/NO glitter inks.)

I may have an answer for you but need to know more...
I am assuming they are matt finish litho transfers. they are full color and not spot. They have color blends and fine detail and shadows. Car transfers with some silly girl on them with a silly saying like high society or street demon...car show folks like them. The quality is outstanding on these hot peel transfers.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
Hot split transfers split the ink layer. Hot peel transfers are like cold peel transfers except one is peeled hot and the other cold.

There are hot split transfers done with opaque ink and printing techniques that allow them to be printed on any color shirt with no bleed through.

Why cold peel at all...probably its where many plastisol transfer makers started and perfected the craft. I kind of see it as a safety net for custom order customers. The technique certainly isnt cutting edge transfer printing technology compared to some of the hot-split and hot-peel transfers we have used from the better known print houses. I also think price plays a role in trying to grab the low end market share meaning small order folks. The more established cutting edge printers have many more types of transfer techniques than the basic three mentioned. These companys have the money experience and equipment to push the new developments in plastisol production. They arent worried about the 25pc one color order...they have moved beyond that customer.

· Registered
5,448 Posts
Ooohhh...preheating the bottom platon is just a stupid excuse. If you do a moisture removal you are fine. The print either works or it doesnt and if it doesnt its the manufactures problem. Dont settle for mistakes because they happen all the time. A custom ordered transfer in plastisol should press perfectly...if it doesnt and you know what you are doing...they screwed up period!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.