T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sorry if this has been asked before here. Can someone explain WHY ?

Why do you buy/use COLD Peel plastisol transfers to print on dark shirts ?

Why would some transfer manufacturers or screen printers make the plastisol transfers COLD peel ONLY, to apply on dark shirts ? is it because of the equipment, inks etc. they use ?

Why NOT use HOT peel transfers to apply on dark shirts ?

What makes a HOT peel or COLD peel plastisol transfer different when printing them on dark shirts.

Curious to hear your views. Transfer users, Transfer makers and Screen printers.

thanks.

..after intensive research/learning on the this board, these are my final questions relating to plastisol Transfers.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I agree...opaque hot peels work everytime for me. The only coldpeel transfer I have is a highly glossy butterfly with shimmering inks in it. The transfer looks great and I can only surmise its because of the inks and gloss that makes it a cold peel. I dont think if I were ordering custom transfer I would want cold peel normally.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MotoskinGraphix said:
I agree...opaque hot peels work everytime for me. The only coldpeel transfer I have is a highly glossy butterfly with shimmering inks in it. The transfer looks great and I can only surmise its because of the inks and gloss that makes it a cold peel. I dont think if I were ordering custom transfer I would want cold peel normally.
thanks David.

I wish I could get a little more feedback from other users, transfer makers and screen printers on the board. :(

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
On one test I did with a cold peel plastisol transfer I noticed that if I tried to pull it up before it cooled down some of the ink would be pulled up with it. But when I waited for them to cool the inks stayed. I think they harden a bit so that is why they work. I think the inks are thicker than say a hot split transfer. Let not confuse opaque hot peel from opaque plastisol transfers they are two different things.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
badalou said:
On one test I did with a cold peel plastisol transfer I noticed that if I tried to pull it up before it cooled down some of the ink would be pulled up with it. But when I waited for them to cool the inks stayed. I think they harden a bit so that is why they work. I think the inks are thicker than say a hot split transfer.
Thanks for the User End Input Lou.

When you do the COLD peel, did you find that there was Ink left on the Transfer paper after application ?

I have tested this it out with Glitter Inks where COLD peel is a must and I have concluded that for a perfect application results you need to rub with a cloth as it cools. Have you thry this with your Cold Peel Plastisol Transfers ?

With Hot Split/Peel Transfers there is no difference as thickness goes. They can be made just as Opque as Cold peel.

Also, have you tried the Thick COLD peel pastisol transfers you are using (with or with out the so called Crystals) printed on Stretchy Fabric ? when you stretch the fabric, Do they Crack ?

I appreciated the feed back Lou.
Almost finished here, with my research to do with plastisol.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
badalou said:
Yes ther was paint still on the paper. have not tried to do the strechy test as I saw your test and going to stay away from ribbed material with that. did not do anything with the rub a cloth thing.
i found that if you rub it as it cools you get more ink OFF the tansfer paper and on the shirt. It also makes the finished printed Transfer feel smoother and even, not bumpy. With COLD peel plastisol transfers.

Try it out Lou. "The Rub a Dub" :)

Any feed back from transfer makers or screen printers that also make Plastisol Transfers ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I can comment on first-editions transfers, because that is what I use. The cold peel with adhesive crystals is the way to go. The adhesive makes the ink stick the shirt perfectly every time.

With hot peel, some of the ink is left on the paper, and is trickier to use than cold peel. With hot peel, the exact temp is more inportant. The adhesive makes it less of a science. It just works perfectly every time. for .10 its well worth the extra money, to avoid aggrivation.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jdr8271 said:
I can comment on first-editions transfers, because that is what I use. The cold peel with adhesive crystals is the way to go. The adhesive makes the ink stick the shirt perfectly every time.

With hot peel, some of the ink is left on the paper, and is trickier to use than cold peel. With hot peel, the exact temp is more inportant. The adhesive makes it less of a science. It just works perfectly every time. for .10 its well worth the extra money, to avoid aggrivation.
Thanks for the user end input Jon.

I have tested Hot Split/Peel Plastisol transfers and no ink is left on the paper and they too work every time. ( i can send you some of the samples i tryed if you want).

I guess my question is, why would companies like firstchoice and other transfer makers make them as Cold Peel and Not Hot Peel plastisol transfers ? is it the inks, equip., technique ?????

Since I know nothing about these "Crystals" beyond what David said and others.
Do the crystals keep the transfer from Cracking when Stretched on RIB fabrics ?

Below are the samples of Hot Split/Peel Plastisol Transfers I tested.

copyright sickonsin.com

some technical input from transfer makers or screen printers would be greatly appreciated since i cant understand why some many make them as COLD peel and NOT hot peel. (i know wildside makes them).

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
some technical input from transfer makers or screen printers would be greatly appreciated since i cant understand why some many make them as COLD peel and NOT hot peel
It could be that you're the only plastisol transfer printer on the forums, Lucy :)

I guess a different question could be, why do some make them HOT peel and NOT cold peel. Does it really matter as long as the end transfer works?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rodney said:
It could be that you're the only plastisol transfer printer on the forums, Lucy :)

I guess a different question could be, why do some make them HOT peel and NOT cold peel. Does it really matter as long as the end transfer works?
I guess you are right, no it dosent matter they basically look and feel the same, accept that hot split/peel apply alot quicker (4 times faster than cold peel) and hold up with the Stretch test.

If the process involved is the same (since no one has posted otherwise), why not make them as Hot Split/Peel Plastisol Transfers ?

may be someone will come along and explain why. :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I guess you are right, no it dosent matter they basically look and feel the same, accept that hot split/peel apply alot quicker (4 times faster than cold peel) and hold up with the Stretch test.
Just curious. Is the stretch test based on a real-world need? I don't see customers ever needing to stretch the t-shirts like that. Most plastisol will have some give to it if cured correctly (enough give for normal and abnormal wear and mis sizing). Even on ribbed fabrics.

If the process involved is the same (since no one has posted otherwise), why not make them as Hot Split/Peel Plastisol Transfers ?
Not sure about this one, but maybe another plastisol transfer printer will come along and see this post and explain why they prefer one over the other.

Maybe somebody could invite the folks from first-edition, who Jon said do the cold peel, to the forums :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
My hot-split transfers always leave ink on the paper...thats the whole point isnt it? The inks split during the transfer process. They work very well...never really had much learning curve pressing them either. The cold peel tansfer I described works as well but the feel of the print is very different than say screen printing or hot-split images. I think the wash care is different as well. My girlfriend liked the image...we tried it and it sold so we order them.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My hot-split transfers always leave ink on the paper...thats the whole point isnt it? The inks split during the transfer process. They work very well...never really had much learning curve pressing them either. The cold peel tansfer I described works as well but the feel of the print is very different than say screen printing or hot-split images. I think the wash care is different as well. My girlfriend liked the image...we tried it and it sold so we order them.
Personally, I have not had good success with the hot peel plasticol transfers that I have used. Im not sure why. I have followed the instructions exactly, but all the ink doesnt transfer. The cold peel has always worked better for me.

The hot peel has a softer and stickier feel than the cold peel, whcih feels a little harder.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I think maybe hot-peel and hot-split plastisol transfers could be a different monkey altogether. Hot-split, splits the ink...and on the used transfer paper there is always an image left. I press medium pressure at 370-380 degrees for 8-10 seconds and it works perfect every time. Out of maybe 200 recent pressings of maybe 5 different companys stock images I had 2 less than perfect results. Like Lucy said....fast is what I dig about em...dont even think between pressings or wait on the press temp to be exact...just go go go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am currently working with first-edition and was told if I want to print on dark shirts, they will need to make my transfers into a cold peel; otherwise the colors won't come through.

I hope this helps.

Aimee

PS - Can anyone tell me if they have experienced plastisol transfer cracking?
Is it too much heat/pressure?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agotlib said:
I am currently working with first-edition and was told if I want to print on dark shirts, they will need to make my transfers into a cold peel; otherwise the colors won't come through.

I hope this helps.

Aimee
Aimee, thanks for the user end feedback.
Your comment is one of the reasons why I started this thread.
I honestly dont know why some companies would tell you that:

"print on dark shirts, they will need to make my transfers into a cold peel; otherwise the colors won't come through"

You can get the same end result with hot peel transfer, have a look at my test example early on the thread.

so im begining to wonder why Cold Peel Plastisol transfers even exist.

One reason may be that in the event you need to print a 14x19 transfer as a 2 step on a 15x15 press, cold peel would make it easier then hot peel.

but beyond that, i have found no other explanation yet for the use of COLD peel transfers.

Are they cheaper to make ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
T-BOT said:
Are they cheaper to make ?
No, they are not. It costs 10 cents more per sheet.

I worked with Howards Sportswear before this, and they did my transfers in a hot peel and it worked really well with dark colors. The only reason I'm not going back to them is because of pricing. They are way too high and I have too many colors.

Hmm..Now you got me thinking...

Aimee

1 - 20 of 59 Posts