T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in ordering some plastisol transfers from SMG but curious to know if anyone else has used them on cotton rib tees, and how well it worked out. I sell dog tees, so my designs are mostly just text. I have been doing my own screen printing, but I must say, I wish I'd known how steep the learning curve would be. If I'd known about plastisol transfers, I wouldn't have spent my money on the screen printing setup. Even now, I make too many mistakes, and since blank dog tees cost more than human ones, mistakes can get very very expensive! Would appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've successfully used them on 100% cotton ribbed tees. The trick is to make sure you get all the moisture out. My process:

Pre-press the garment 2X, minimum of 20 seconds total and cool a little in between.
Place the transfer on the garment immediately after the last pre-press.
Place a piece of paper on top of the transfer.
Press 400 degrees medium pressure for 12 seconds.
SLOWLY open press and remove the garment from the lower platen to a flat surface next to the press.
Rub the entire back of the transfer with a cloth or rolling pin for about 10 seconds or until warm.
Peel firmly in one smooth motion while being sure to hold the fabric down since the transfer will try to grab it a little.

Your process may be different depending on the amount of moisture in your garments, humidity, variances in your press temp guage, etc. Just know that good results can be achieved with 100% cotton but it's the hardest substrate to get consistent results with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grayhead, if you are able to find doggie blanks for $3 after shipping, that is pretty cheap. I have not seen or found any that cost less than $3-4 before shipping, and quality varies. The cheapest source I know of is http://www.lovelonglong.com/index.asp, and I think wholesale prices are about half of the retail. I've not used their shirts before.

rabid, I have gotten my transfers and tried them with your instructions but am having problems. My design has white ink, and I am transferring to a red garment. So, should I be using a cold peel method, i.e. waiting longer after rubbing with the rolling pin, before peeling? So far, I've found that not all of the ink transfers completely, and then, what is on the shirt has a rubbery texture, and the edges can be peeled off. I don't know if I need more pressure, longer pressing time, or both.

Please advise. Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ilovedogs said:
rabid, I have gotten my transfers and tried them with your instructions but am having problems. My design has white ink, and I am transferring to a red garment. So, should I be using a cold peel method, i.e. waiting longer after rubbing with the rolling pin, before peeling? So far, I've found that not all of the ink transfers completely, and then, what is on the shirt has a rubbery texture, and the edges can be peeled off. I don't know if I need more pressure, longer pressing time, or both.

Please advise. Thanks again.
You need more heat and/or more time on the press.

B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts