T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Long time watcher first time poster here.

I've been doing a lot of research (with a great deal of help from this forum) and think I might have finally come to a decision regarding my upcoming business venture.

I've designed a number of t-shirts and the time has now come to have these printed. After much research I think I have decided that I will not be doing my own t-shirt printing, and instead, will be looking to have custom plastisol transfers made up for me. I think this will suit me better, given that my rented house has limited space and with landlords etc, inks and equipment all over the house will not be a good idea. Plus, I like the flexibility of transfers.

Would having custom plastisol transfers made end up being cheaper than just having the design directly printed onto my t-shirts? Who do you get your transfers made by, and how much does it cost?

Looking forward to hearing your advice!

Thanks,
Adam.

·
Administrator
14,018 Posts
Would having custom plastisol transfers made end up being cheaper than just having the design directly printed onto my t-shirts?
I can't help with pricing down under, but I can throw in my 2 cents on transfer vs. direct print cost.

All things being equal (quantity, colors, etc.) it's more expensive to have 100 shirts done with transfers than the same 100 shirts done with direct screen printing. The reason should be obvious; applying transfers is a 2 step process- screen print then heat press. Direct screen print eliminates the heat press step.

However, it sounds like you have legitimate reasons to go with the transfer method; space, mess, convenience, inventory costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whether plastisol transfers are cheaper than other technologies depends on a few factors;

The main ones are the number of transfers you get done as well as the number of colours in your design.

I got my last lot of transfers from F&M in the states (cause they ship OS). I found that as long as you get more that 72 transfers then they are pretty well priced.

You can usually double the price going from one colour to two, and so on....

I made the mistake of getting my first transfers shipped directly from the US. The price for my job was US$140 and the shipping turned out to be US$160... Ouch...

Next time I am going to use a forwarding company...

For some smaller quantity jobs I just use inkjet transfer paper which isn't that much different to plastisol, as long as you don't have to cut it out too much...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts