T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, in the forums it says that plastisol transfers looks almost exactly like screen printing. If this is the case, how come I've never heard of a professional brand using them?

How is the quality of colors and durability compared to screen printing?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hello, in the forums it says that plastisol transfers looks almost exactly like screen printing. If this is the case, how come I've never heard of a professional brand using them?

Plastisols can look like a certain kind of screenprinting. There are other types of screen printing that are softer than plastisols.

Larger brands do not use them bc they do not need to use them. For the quantity they do, plastisols is not a better choice for them.

Hope that helps, and hopefully someone who screens can chime in and give you more detailed info than I can. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
i was just reading a post of Rodney's in the heat press sections where is talking about a hoodie he got at a concert that was done this way and it looked really good

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

Why would a company come out and say how they place the design on a shirt. Plastisol transfers are used wide spread in the industry. Often a design transfer is done before the type of shirt is chosen. That is why there are so many stock transfer companies that make these transfers (plastisol) for large companies brand name..

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
DaveWhite said:
i was just reading a post of Rodney's in the heat press sections where is talking about a hoodie he got at a concert that was done this way and it looked really good

Do you mean Rodney's s/shirt was done with a plastisol transfer, David? If yes, I'm sure it is nice. A well made plastisol is considered on par with screen print qualitywise. Some garments are screened with plastisol ink, and plastisols are also made with plastisol inks.

Plastisols are great to keep inventory down. Just store the plastisols until needed, and apply them to shirts in the size and color as ordered. Screenprinting is much faster for bulk, and the pros can afford the runs and inventory it takes to utilize screen printings advantages.

Plastisols are a great alternative when you can't afford those large runs and stocking that inventory. They are also nice for stocking designs on a shelf, and keeping your shirt inventory really flexible, since they are blank until the design is ordered. Plastisols = thumbs up to me! :)

Lots of folks here use and love them.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Plastisol Transfer are screened designs that are mirrored,so when they are applied the image is correct. I think as far as straight screen print vs. plastisl transfer there truly is no difference. I Know a lot of manufacturers that have shirts done oversees are using transfers. This is done to keep the images sharp and labor cost low. I have seen many shirts sold in the discount stores that are transfer, but are made in Asia. The plastisol transfer technology is far more advanced in the USA vs Asia. .... JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plastisol Transfer are screened designs that are mirrored,so when they are applied the image is correct. I think as far as straight screen print vs. plastisl transfer there truly is no difference. I Know a lot of manufacturers that have shirts done oversees are using transfers. This is done to keep the images sharp and labor cost low. I have seen many shirts sold in the discount stores that are transfer, but are made in Asia. The plastisol transfer technology is far more advanced in the USA vs Asia. .... JB

without a doubt, the plastisol transfers have come a long way. when "printed" with heat press they actually feel VERY VERY similar to direct prints. Don't even need the powder lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts