T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What determines the level of detail in a plastisol transfer?

For example, let's say you had a design that was simply an image of a skull, however, it looked like one of the skulls DaVinci drew (a lot of shadowing, detail, etc.).

Use this as an example:
http://ima.udg.es/~frederic/ResearchInterest/_htmlImages/daVinciSkullAt85.jpg

A plastisol can be that detailed, right? How would the person making the plastisol transfer charge you? Is that image 3 colors? -- black, white and brown?

Sorry if I'm not being clear.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sac printer said:
Sounds like a great questions for the folks at silver Mountain Graphics...
Well, a lot of people use SMG as well as plastisol transfers in general. Also, asking questions here helps the new members learn as well.

But thanks for your extremely informative and helpful post...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Maybe you could ask SMG and report back to help out new members.

Sometimes it is better to go straight to the source if possible. But I can see how the information would be helpful to folks here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ph0yce said:
What determines the level of detail in a plastisol transfer?

For example, let's say you had a design that was simply an image of a skull, however, it looked like one of the skulls DaVinci drew (a lot of shadowing, detail, etc.).

Use this as an example:
http://ima.udg.es/~frederic/ResearchInterest/_htmlImages/daVinciSkullAt85.jpg

A plastisol can be that detailed, right? How would the person making the plastisol transfer charge you? Is that image 3 colors? -- black, white and brown?

Sorry if I'm not being clear.
Not that its really much help but i have asked similar questiosn to SMG and never had a reply! try first edition, they where very helpfull

·
Registered
93 Posts
I guess he could ask one of those companies, but I thought there were a few printers on this board too.

I'll take a crack at it even though I know nothing. I think the image (at most) would be 3 colors, maybe even only 2. They'd probably print it using half-tones, would look like little dots in some parts of the image but with the texture there it wouldn't matter.

Also, if you convert it to vector and have any lines thinner than 2 pixels then those lines may not transfer well, or even be visible.

I'd love to see an authoritative answer here too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What Rabid said is correct. But it also depends on the shirt color your are printing on. If you are going on a shirt with the same background color of the art then you could manage it with a 1 color print.

Level of detail on a print depends on a few factors. They may use a higher mesh count to acheive higher detail. You can also use capillary film as well to hold finer edges.

I hope you have a larger picture for the printer though. Being an artist myself that would be a nightmare to recreate for print.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts