T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

brand new to screen printing just ordered a 2 color press today. I was wondering if you think I should go with water based inks or plastisol for printing on womens underwear. 95% cotton 5% spandex.

any advice would be appreciated ^_^

· Registered
27 Posts
Plastisol needs to reach over 300 degrees to cure, so you'd have to worry about that if you choose plastisol over waterbased. underwear would be pretty easy to fit into a conventional cooking oven, though, so as long as you had at least one of those handy for curing, it shouldn't be too difficult.

· Registered
27 Posts
you can thin down plastisol with reducer and soft hand and make it soft on the fabric, too. Plastisol is easier to print with. waterbase dries in the air, and therefor dries in the screen if you don't work quickly enough. But waterbase cleans up (with water instead of solvent) and cures easier. if you end up going with waterbased, make sure the emulsion that you use is rated for waterbased ink.

· Registered
3,506 Posts
you can thin down plastisol with reducer and soft hand and make it soft on the fabric, too. Plastisol is easier to print with. waterbase dries in the air, and therefor dries in the screen if you don't work quickly enough. But waterbase cleans up (with water instead of solvent) and cures easier. if you end up going with waterbased, make sure the emulsion that you use is rated for waterbased ink.
yes^.

waterbased printing is a different animal altogether BUT it gives off a much smoother feel or 'hand'. the ink is actually going into the garment and not laying on top.

the problem is when printing that EM mentioned is that if you don't print correctly there is a greater chance of screwing up a bunch of shirts.

you always have to back-flood the screen after every print. which means after getting your print correct you lift the screen and pull back the ink over the design area filling it so it won't dry within.

plastisol is so much easier to print but the long term benefits of water based printing has made me use that method for my own shirts and i try to talk my customers who want fashionable wear into doing the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.