T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing this for quite a while now, although I'm sure you won't be able to tell by the simplicity of the questions I'll be asking here. I guess since I started out doing it a certain way, and continued to do it that way with little time to look into it further, I'm still pretty in the dark as to the rest of the options.
I use an epson printer, printing on hot peel heat transfers, onto only white shirts. Even if it's a text only design - this is my method.
After reading over several dozen posts here, I'd love to see it explained the difference in all of the transfer options. I see some of you use opaque for dark fabrics. I bought 100 sheets of that a year or so ago, and used it once. I don't like the way that feels on the shirt. Are you getting different results?
Also, could someone explain (in simple terms please) the difference in application and end result, etc in the different kinds of transfers. Are screen printed transfers the same as plastisol transfers (or any other name), etc. For what sort of designs do you use each type of transfer?
I choose to use the heat press because I do a lot of personalized designs and small runs. I have however, turned down a number of pretty large jobs (200+) that asked for darker shirts, and most recently a business owner asked me to quote him a price on 200 shirts with his logo on the pocket and full on the back. I haven't even responded because for some reason this intimidates me - I think because I'm Not a screen printer and am afraid that my heat transferred, heat pressed, one at a time, won't be up to snuff compared to the screen printer that he usually uses.
I know I've asked a lot here. Sorry. Any help, suggestions, opinions, or whatever is welcome.

Thanks
Pam

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
jacsma said:
Are screen printed transfers the same as plastisol transfers (or any other name), etc.
Yes.

jacsma said:
For what sort of designs do you use each type of transfer?
Plastisol transfers are the best option for using a heat press on dark coloured garments, although they have the usual drawbacks inherent in screen printing.

Plastisol is also used by some for text since it eliminates the "box" look, and you can often gang a lot of slogans on a sheet to save money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts