T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, and new to designing for T's...which means I'm needy and probably going to drive you all wild with my stupid questions! So I apologise in advance..

I have been asked to come up with a specific design for a company, it basically needs to be a vector of a girl, one colour at present since this is an experimental branch out towards changing the overall look and feel of their current established lines...

My question is this, when I am drawing the girl I am constantly feeling that correct placement on the T-shirt is going to be an issue? Do we really want a head across the chest area of the T (it's a design aimed at girls/women)? I know that I personally stay away from these kind of prints (they seriously don't flatter me)...

When looking around at designs online I am constantly finding that designs place large imagary in this area regardlessly?

So, what do you folks think or do about this? Is it a consideration or do you think what the heck? Do you have workarounds ?

The target audience is all shapes and sizes though a vast majority of the womens clothes line probably sells to the more 'petite' - I do however think this is an issue which the company might need to overcome if they want to increase sales? (my job is to work with the branding of the company not just design for them).

I'd really appreciate your feedback on this one.

Moli :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
It'll be easy to keep the placement of your art in check if you periodically Mock up the art on a blank garment. So I'd say go to www.deviantart.com and search "blank tshirt". Look for a good "body" to place your shirt on and try it out to see where the print lands.
I feel this is a place where alot of designers have a tough time. Usually designers aren't screenrprinters, so when they design they don't think about ink types, how thick a HUGE block of white in a design will be and placement of graphics on a curved body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yes I imagine you're right, this is exactly why I joined this forum I feel I need to have a good understanding of the print process in order to be half useful at designs for these garments as I need a professional finish. Thanks for your help, I'll check deviantart out, I'm a member I don't know why I didn't think to look for blank tshirts there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts