T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.
Just trying to understand how ofter you guys deal with pinholes.
Seems EVERY screen i make has to have SOME sort of hole filled.
Normal??
What is the best brand of Ghost image remover? I use CCI. Maybe thats the problem.
Thanks Gents and Gals!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perhaps dust on the glass or transparency. If you tape the transparency to the emulsion (8.5 x11 acetate to a 20 x 24 screen), the tape edges could cause it.

Are the screens completely degreased? If so, how recent? I degrease my screen no earlier than a day before use -- sometimes an hour before.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ffokazak said:
Ok.
Seems EVERY screen i make has to have SOME sort of hole filled.
Normal??
What is the best brand of Ghost image remover? I use CCI. Maybe thats the problem.
Thanks Gents and Gals!
They seem to have covered most of the reasons for pinholes but theres one more that rears its ugly head and thats little dots that you may not notice on your filmpositve...they can be made by your printer and or be there unnoticed on your artwork when converting photos to images....

The pinholes have become substantialy less since I quit using Diazo type emulsions I switched to a Pure Photo Polymer emulsion and it has cut their apperance by about 90%... Thats not the reason I switched but just a side benefit...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
ffokazak said:
Very rarely.

Most pinholes I get are either caused by specs I overlooked on the film positive (rare) or dried emulsion on the glass of the vacuum frame (most common cause).

·
Registered
274 Posts
what kind of emulsion do you use? we use murakami 9700 (i think), it's the photo polymer one... i never have had any problems with it.

you could just use some block out- but it takes a long time to dry. we prefer just cutting a small piece of masking tape and placing it on the hole. honestly, we use masking tape to fix pretty much anything. it's a cheap life saver.

and as someone already mentioned- degrease!!! if you don't have an "offical" degreaser, baking soda should work just fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
zagadka said:
what kind of emulsion do you use? we use murakami 9700 (i think), it's the photo polymer one... i never have had any problems with it.
I've been able to do things with PhotoPloymer that were just not possible with diazo emulsion.... I recently Did Family reunion Shirts with Print as small as this print your reading... They had names all over it.... Small fine print like this is not remarkable....whats remarkable is it printed it with 110 mesh this small... and it was white on Navy which required a flash an second print..... that never would have been possible with diazo emulsion....would have needed a much higher mesh count for that fine of detail .... The Photopolymer not only hung together on the 110 during washout, but formed a near perfect gasket which made it possible to print that fine twice...... I Love the stuff... I know its about 50% higher in price then Diazo'z but its worth every penny of it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts