T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, people.

I started to build my own dtg printer with Epson T25 or (T13)
I have a question about inks, I bought a kit of pigment ink for epson, but I have been googling and I found out that there's textile ink too, what's the difference ? Pigment ink is waterproof and UV proof so will there be any difference ? Do you think it will last long with pigment ink ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Hello, people.

I have a question about inks, I bought a kit of pigment ink for epson, but I have been googling and I found out that there's textile ink too, what's the difference ? Pigment ink is waterproof and UV proof so will there be any difference ? Do you think it will last long with pigment ink ?

Thanks.
Both are pigment inks, however textile inks have binders added that adhere to the cotton shirt when heat pressed from what i have gathered from speaking with dupont reps... Most of the inks have a certain viscosity designed to be used with a specific printhead...

·
Registered
6 Posts
my problem is i dont know how to cut transfer paper and how to trace to cut on cutter plotter the shop where i bougth the machine they only know is to cut vinyl transfer they dont know how to cut transfer paper my cutter is redsail tnx in advanced

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, people.

Thanks.
try it yourself do some wash tests, heatpress shirt 160c for 90 sec using parchment paper.

most people will say it wont work but usually they havnt tried it themselves it just what they have heard from the propaganda the textile ink manufactures put out , so my advise is try it yourself.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have printed and wash tested with the stock epson pigment ink and various brands of dtg inks and i can say based on my experience the stock pigment ink didnt hold up compared to dtg specific inks..JMHO additionally the dye based inks typically dont even make one wash before being almost totally gone..:)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
:\ but dtg inks is too expensive..
I agree:) however im no chemist but i imagine the manufacturing process isnt cheap.. If only printing white garments (cmyk) i think cost is very reasonable compared to process time/profit margin..

A good example for reference, I converted a ricoh printer to dtg and i had to go with higher viscosity ink due to the ricoh head.. I experimented with a dupont artistri 2500 series ink meant for textile roll to roll printers which does not have the binders in it and it reflected in the washability as the dupont artistri 5000 series for the epson head with binders holds up in the wash much better when properly applied including the pretreat for white ink and heat press settings.. In all honesty i think resolute ink has some of the best wash test and less white ink seperation probs results i have seen, but the hand is a bit thicker and the colors dont match the art as well as dupont from the rip software.. I have been told this is a profile issue and i think if they supply a profile with there ink they would do much better in the u.s market.. you really have to go with what works best and leave the chemistry to the pro's..I know multiple new start ups doing very well with diydtgs and just as many failed attempts, but you have to remember the dtg is just a tool and theres alot more that goes into making the venture a success sales/marketing/niche etc etc etc .. .. double check your business plan as you may find an alternate decoration method a better application (especially for one color simple graphics/text type shirts you would prolly be better suited with screen print/vinyl heat pressed and you can even look at plastisol transfers)))

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks a lot for this thread it very helpful for new dtg user like me
i hope to find the best ink not just for cotton t-sheart
but for a different material like glass plastic silk and ceramic
i found this
M-TT Direct to Fabric Bulk Ink - Orange | Direct to Fabric | Printing Supplies @ GJS Machinery Australia
Digitex Printing Technologies Co. Ltd
and
Edible Inks - Inks
really i can't found the A for the Q
what is the best textile ink or Solvent Inks ?
what about a clog ???
and it compatible with the c88 or i must upgrade my dtg to a another model from epson
can any one help me please .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.