T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just quick background check. I print shirts daily on the job I have operated many different heat presses.

Recently I started selling shirts online and wanted to start making them on my own time. So I purchased and heat press from eBay one of those 8 in 1 for $167.

I figured I just needed a big iron to make basic shirts and one of these had to get the job done I wasn't looking for anything but big hot plate. What I received look like a heat press felt like a heat press but it was not a heat press. It was what I like to call a toy heat press.

So I plugged in the "CAP" extension and it worked well everything was fine. The cheap press beeps a lot for no reason and gets hot fairly quickly which makes me think it's pretty dangerous.

I plugged in the 11 by 15 plate and set it to 330°. It starts to heat up and beeps many times to let me know it's ready but one problem, it was now 380° degrees and still rising with the top plate smoking. I quickly unplugged it and let it cool off remove the 11 by 15 plate and plugged in the cap plate which seemed to work well and stop at 330°.

So first day cheap China press does not work. I quickly took to the web to find me a nice suitable replacement something that was made in USA.

I stumbled onto the Hix swingman 20E

a 16x20 all mechanical heat press.
Boy was this thing heavy. Had to carry up a flight of narrow stairs by myself. Plugged into its new 20 amp outlet and I heated it up just perfectly. I set it to 350° and pressed a shirt. It felt similar to what I feel daily. I will test temp soon with heat strips.

FYI : I could not find pics like this online so here they are.

Attachments

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its Manufacture date is new and its the lowest price made in USA 16x20 swing press.

Its like the best cheap press. I wanted the dk20s but that one belongs at the shop and not in my man cave.

I wired a dedicated 20 amp outlet for this thing. All 20 amp rated outlet,wires,etc. . Even put a 20 amp toggle switch onto the outlet so I won't have to change the dial from the perfect temp.

· Registered
21 Posts
Its Manufacture date is new and its the lowest price made in USA 16x20 swing press.

Its like the best cheap press. I wanted the dk20s but that one belongs at the shop and not in my man cave.

I wired a dedicated 20 amp outlet for this thing. All 20 amp rated outlet,wires,etc. . Even put a 20 amp toggle switch onto the outlet so I won't have to change the dial from the perfect temp.
I just bought one in December myself. Happy with it so far.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great deal, I did try those china press first. It over heated rightaway.

It's scary to think of an electrical fire due to wrong electronic parts.
I once read that on a 10 amp china press the resistors where drawing 12 amps .

You can feel the USA quality on this hix press. It cost $1k but you have to factor in $200 shipping so it was really $800. I had to drag it up stairs!

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my swingman 15 is pretty heavy lol i wouldnt want to carry that thing up a flight of stairs, but yeah, good choice i love mine..looks just like yours but 15x15

I was going to get the 15x15 but for $250 more I needed the 16x20. I make a lot of tabloid pics and plus size T-shirts.

The 15x15 is my next purchase for smaller shirt... I made it an outlet switch. So I wouldn't change the temp on the dial or touch the dial anymore at all unless I am changing the temp though its always at 345ish for anything and most things are covered with teflon anyway.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.