T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I realized that there is a colorsetting feature in photoshop that is very confusing. What colorsettings do you use? I am trying to figure out the best settings, I would assume CMYK is better than RGB when using multiple colors- but I can't seem to figure out the right setting.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Re: Photoshop users - color setting q

bebeink said:
I would assume CMYK is better than RGB when using multiple colors
CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Key [Black]) is the colour system used for print graphics. RGB (Red, Green, Blue) is the colour system used for display graphics.

If you are designing for print (a heat pressed shirt for example) you should use CMYK. If you are designing for digital (a website for example) you should use RGB. It's easy enough to change from one to the other, but you often get some colour shifting when doing so.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Solmu said:
but you often get some colour shifting when doing so.
I was trying to explain this to the wife yesterday as I just had some stickers printed up and had to change color settings on my file... I've read that there can be some shifting but is it really all that noticeable? I didn't really notice a difference. Or is it a case by case type of thing?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

RAHchills said:
I was trying to explain this to the wife yesterday as I just had some stickers printed up and had to change color settings on my file... I've read that there can be some shifting but is it really all that noticeable?
Actually the color shifts can be huge. If your computer moniter, printers and software are not calibrated correctly and with the same settings, what you see is more than likely NOT what you get.

Reading up on color management will give you a tone of insight as to how much this can vary.

You might see lt. blue but an a correctly calibrated moniter it is actually a true royal.

Also switching from CMYK to RGB makes color changes big time. It is best to always work in RGB. If your final output needs to be in CMYK make a copy of the art, convert to a CMYK profile and save that for the specific print use.

It is much easier to color correct RGB images than CMYK. Mainly due to a btroader spectrum of colors int he RGB profile than in the CMYK.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

RAHchills said:
I've read that there can be some shifting but is it really all that noticeable? I didn't really notice a difference. Or is it a case by case type of thing?
Definitely case by case. As Fluid said it depends on the colour settings on the computer you're using if you're talking about shift between PCs, between screen and print, etc.

With the shift between RGB and CMYK I've found it also depends on which colours you're converting. Sometimes there's a close equivalent and the shift is subtle or imperceptible, sometimes it's actually pretty dramatic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just so you will get an understanding of the difference, here goes.

CMYK is a system used to produce colors on a white background. As you, hopefully, learned in school, all colors combined create white. For example, a prism takes white light and separates the colors. Thus, to create colors on a white sheet of paper you must block out the reflected light that is not in the spectrum you wish to see. To see red, all other colors must be blocked so that only the red shows through. When other colors are blocked to a lesser degree you get different shades of red.

RGB, like the monitor you are looking at, starts with black. True colors are added to create images.

I know this probably won't help you with your immediate problem but, perhaps knowing the basics will help with finding the answers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a tip: If you are designing in Photoshop, wait until youre done with your work, to change your colors to CMYK, because these types of colors make files much bigger in size.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

Solmu said:
If you are designing for print (a heat pressed shirt for example) you should use CMYK.
I've also since been told that depending on your printer this isn't necessarily true. What I was told is that printers are designed to convert from RGB to CMYK (and are optimised to do just that), so you should leave the conversion to them. Personally I'm not sold... a conversion from CMYK to CMYK should be truer than a conversion from RGB to CMYK no matter how good the printer is. The source was reliable though, so I'm conflicted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts