T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i made a logo in photoshop 7, no issue there but when i open the image in flexistarter it tells me there is "no cuttable object with current setting" i could really use a hand. thanks so much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Photoshop is for raster images you need a vector image to cut which would be created in adobe ill. or corel draw and I think there is a free one call inkscape some other members on here have recommended.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
ok i got illustrator cs2 and imported my logo but i dont know what to do next
After you import the bitmap into Illy, you need to trace it or just redesign it in Illy. Importing an image into Illy does not vectorize it. You have to either trace the bitmap or design the logo in a vector drawing program. If you're doing a lot of vinyl cutting, you'll want to start using a vector drawing program instead of Photoshop.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello Nick,

I see this a lot on the forums and I completely understand. If you are working with a plotter now you need to know that everything you want to output needs to be in vector not bitmap. Programs like illustrator and coral are going to become your best friends. Anything that's not vector will have to be recreated in vector. Photoshop will not be a suitable program for you to create files to plot with. Let us know if you need any help making the jump to a program like illustrator. We are here to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Nick,

I see this a lot on the forums and I completely understand. If you are working with a plotter now you need to know that everything you want to output needs to be in vector not bitmap. Programs like illustrator and coral are going to become your best friends. Anything that's not vector will have to be recreated in vector. Photoshop will not be a suitable program for you to create files to plot with. Let us know if you need any help making the jump to a program like illustrator. We are here to help.
ive used photoshop for years so im guessing ill grasp ill. easiest being an adobe product. im just having trouble grasping the new file types and what is appropriate to cut. as when i needed a pic of lets say a basketball using photoshop id just go to the web grab a pic and incorporate it into my design. so i guess what im asking is do all vectors need to be created from scratch? because my concern comes from the prospect of a customer having a precreated logo in the wrong format but want the exact image on the product. also im only cutting vinyl not printing letterings no biggy its just the darn pics. thanks so much for all your help guys =]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok. Then like everyone else said you need the file to be line art. Line art which is vector is an outline. Where as a photoshop document (image) is raster which is made up of pixels where there is no outline for a cut path. And the quality is determined by the resolution of the document. Where as a vector file has the same quality at any size.

So like everyone else suggests, you will need to recreate the artwork in a vector form using the correct program to do so. I'm familiar with Flexi as I've used it for both vinyl & print graphic for many years. But not Familiar with the version you have. If your not familiar with Adobe Illustrator you can recreate the artwork in Flexi as well. Using basic shapes or the pen tool. Search online for tutorials and that would be your best help!

·
Registered
360 Posts
In other words, you need to learn the Pen Tool in Illustrator.
If you know Photoshop's Pen Tool, it's just about the same thing, slightly different, but you'd pick it up.

You might want to go to YouTube if you aren't familiar with vector stuff, they have a lot there that you can watch.
Just type in Illustrator vector, you'll bring some up.

If a customer gives you a logo, you can use Live Trace in Illustrator to get there, it takes some getting used to, but you can use the outcome, it can save you a lot of time.
(Do a search for that on YouTube too)

Randy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Nick,

If you need images for your vector designs you can still find them online. However most of the vector stuff online you have to pay for. You can also buy CD's with vector art on them. If you are looking for something special and you cant find it let us know. Someone here might have it to share with you. In any case I would take time to learn illustrators pen tool. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
whuts best to use when dealin with just vinyl...flexistart, signlab or is corel draw and illustrator the same kinda programs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts