T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new freelance artist do a design for me. She uses photoshop. She sent it to me in a PDF. When I imported into CDR it wasn't vector. Does she need to send it in a different file? It should be vector shouldn't it since it was vector (well vector look) in the PDF file?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Photoshop is not a vector illustration program. Adobe Illustrator is the application for that. Your graphic will have to be redrawn most likely

Post the PDF so we can take a look and see if there is another way.

Many folks have the mistaken idea that if turing something into a PDF will magically make it a vector, which is why I specify in my "art requirements" that a PDF file "may require additional art charges". A PDF file is just a container for other types of data. Saving a PSD as a PDF does not make it useable.

Even so, it may be ok, just deoends on what is in the PDF. I would rather have the layered original PSD than a flattened PSD saved as a PDF.

Corel Draw will import either one.....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Photoshop is capable of creating some vector output (sorta). When the pen tool is used a path can created or selections can be saved as paths. There is an option to Export Paths to Illustrator. These can be saved as ai files and imported into Corel Draw. However, this is just not the greatest thing to do. Contingent upon which version of Corel Draw you have, the trace function works pretty well to convert to vector. If your designer created these as 300ppi then converting (tracing) should not be a problem. Why am I thinking that when Corel imports a PSD that it is flattened and converted to a bitmap at that time? What kind of security does she have set on the PDF? Her reason for sending as a PDF may be to protect her interest at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts