T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - rank beginner here.

I have done a couple of designs with the assistance of a mate who has a reasonable knowledge of Photoshop - ie: I conceived the designs, and he worked on creating them using Photoshop. I would give feedback and suggestions for modification until we arrived at the final design. Believe it or not, the final designs worked out pretty damned well. Beginner's luck, perhaps, but I think where a design imagination exists, the potential is there to come up with some good stuff. Obviously, learning to use the appropriate design software is vital. Which brings me to my query...

What is the basic difference betweem Photoshop and Illustrator? My Photoshop friend says that you can do anything you can conceive of in Photoshop - does this equate with the views of you guys who are experienced Tshirt designers?

I should clarify what I'm planning to do in the way of designs.

1. I want to use photos to create simple two or three colour screenprinting graphics, with the photo as the initial model, but then manipulated and modified to create the final design. For example, I might start with a picture of a person sitting crosslegged with hands upturned, and would then seek to manipulate the photo to have them holding, say, a lemon in one hand (don't ask!). Can I do this with Photoshop or Illustrator?

2. And what about creating from scratch colourful abstract geometric designs in the style of, say, Miro (but simpler)? Can this be done with either of the software products mentioned?

3. Or starting with a photo of a tree, and changing it to look like a hand-drawn stylised tree in two or three colours, with a jagged, brush-stroke-like black outline?

4. What about creating original cartoon-like figures from photos?

Maybe there is a better (or simpler) package than either Photoshop or Illustrator for these types of tasks?

Any experience-informed advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So, let me see if I've got this right.

1. Livetrace in Illustrator does the same thing as the new PowerTrace function in CorelDraw x3.

2. Both Illustrator and CD X3 convert bitmap graphics to vectors.

Yes?

So it's a matter of personal preference as to which one you go for. Thus, someone who has tried neither would probably do well to heed Decal Design's economic logic. Or is there some outstanding attribute in terms of functions that Illustrator has over CorelDraw x3?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.