T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have been using Photoshop and illustrator to make my designs and Iv always worked from images or drawings.

My question is how can I make a original design with lines that are clean and symmetrical for eg.

[media]http://images.johnnycupcakes.com/cc488c611377555abe07889825021ff8/2010/06/jc_gingham_xbones_white_shirt_image.png[/media]

Thanks guys
Peace

·
Registered
22 Posts
My method is usually to draw the parts of the design I know I can by hand (and sometimes even mirror them to make them even more symmetrical). Then make symmetrical shapes over the top of the design. Some easy ways to make sure everything lines up & is symmetrical, are holding shift when creating shapes, and also if you hold shift to select multiple shapes you can use your "Align" tab in the pathfinder window (for Illustrator) to make sure everything aligns perfectly how you want it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chris nailed it!

Just start thinking about how you can create artwork building up with most basic shapes. Being able to see things like an artist will get you through a lot.

If there's anything I can add, it will be to be careful using some of Illustrator's snapping features. Sometimes they just don't work and glitch out :l

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. When I look back at that design i gave as an example I can see the basic shapes used. Cheerz :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts