T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
so, i have photoshop cs2 on my computer and i'd like to learn to use it (makes sense right?). can you guys recommend a good tutorial? remember, i know NOTHING about using photoshop...i need a book that really explains everything in a simple way. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could look on ebay for a dvd tutorial called "total training". I found these to be excellent much easier than going through a book. Can be quite expensive for new ones but can also be picked up cheaper.

not sure about books though sorry.

·
Registered
282 Posts
skulltshirts1 said:
I wouldnt spend money on a book, there are thousands of great tutorials online.
http://www.good-tutorials.com/
http://www.webmonkey.com/design/graphics/tutorials/tutorial1.html
http://www.fur.com/~almackey/tutorial/

Theres a few to get you started, after you go thru those just do a google or yahoo search for them.
Good call. A book may be helpful if you like to learn by reading. However, I use good-tutorials extensively to learn by doing. I highly recommend that site.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help everyone. do you think that these online tutorials are going to be basic enough for a real beginner? i know it's hard to say when you already know how to use photoshop but for me, the more basic the better. and lets say i WAS going to buy a book...which one is recommended?

thanks again for all of the help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
when i started learning to use CS2 i initially started out doing so on my own. just play with every function you can to manipulate your image so that you are familiar with the names and concepts behind them all. afterwards you can just browse through different website tutorials and pick and choose the techniques that you need to get to your desired outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I second total training, but you can also get a monthly membership to Lynda.Com which also has online versions of their cds/dvds. Lynda isn't as good as total training stuff for photoshop, but it is cheaper and almost as easy to follow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
skulltshirts1 said:
I wouldnt spend money on a book, there are thousands of great tutorials online.
http://www.good-tutorials.com/
http://www.webmonkey.com/design/graphics/tutorials/tutorial1.html
http://www.fur.com/~almackey/tutorial/

Theres a few to get you started, after you go thru those just do a google or yahoo search for them.
I tend to disagree with this. For someone who knows nothing about photoshop I think it's fruitless to tinker around with random tutorials online. The ONLY way to properly learn photoshop from the most beginner of levels is to get Adobe Classroom in a Book. This series will take you through all facets of the application one by one at a progressive pace allowing you to build on your knowledge comprehensively. If you jump head first into an online tutorial the involves masking and you've never used the lasso tool or been taught how to create a layer mask you'll be butting your head against the monitor. You can pick these up new and used on eBay from $5 and up. They come with companion cdroms with all the chapter tutorial elements. Start out the the beginner book. These are the "manuals" that adobe certified instrutors are taught from. This will formulate a great basis of understanding for you to build on with more advanced lessons in the future.

·
Registered
344 Posts
DickTees.net said:
I tend to disagree with this. For someone who knows nothing about photoshop I think it's fruitless to tinker around with random tutorials online. If you jump head first into an online tutorial the involves masking and you've never used the lasso tool or been taught how to create a layer mask you'll be butting your head against the monitor.
I wouldnt suggest they start out with one of the advanced tutorials either. There are many beginners tutorials online. That is where this person should start.
I feel I am very good with photoshop, and I havent spent one penny to learn the program. Just spend alot of time using it and following easy tutorials at first, once you have the basics of each tool down, then just play with them until you know what they do.
Trust me, you dont have to spend any money to learn this program.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I have Visually Photoshop 7 But you can get cs2. it is a step by step learning and has helped me greatly. I am also using Adobe Illustrator 10 in 24 hours. . I can quickly open and find out what I need. By the way there is a series put out by Focus Guide each month and available at your book store. It is a CD and book for Photoshop and give free programs, add ons and great tutorials. They are about $15 and I now have 5 of them. Lou

·
Registered
46 Posts
skulltshirts1 said:
...I havent spent one penny to learn the program. Just spend alot of time using it and following easy tutorials at first, once you have the basics of each tool down, then just play with them until you know what they do.
Trust me, you dont have to spend any money to learn this program.
Exactly. With the wealth of knowledge the internet offers its possible to get a huge eclectic education for free.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It's no longer true that you get what you pay for, but depending on how you learn it can be useful to have a book that someone has created intending to be progressed through start to finish, rather than a hodge podge of tutorials.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm a fan of books, and agree with Jay.

Photoshop is a complex beast, the only way to learn is through use. I'd recommend a quality book, coupled with a good art magazine's tutorials (such as Computer Arts, Digital Art, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
may i suggest "classroom in a book"

it is for the complete beginner and each chapter is a lesson. that's the first book i ever got on photoshop and it was simple to follow. i am an artist who now uses photoshop in my work.

moo

·
Registered
282 Posts
DickTees.net said:
I tend to disagree with this. For someone who knows nothing about photoshop I think it's fruitless to tinker around with random tutorials online. The ONLY way to properly learn photoshop from the most beginner of levels is to get Adobe Classroom in a Book. This series will take you through all facets of the application one by one at a progressive pace allowing you to build on your knowledge comprehensively. If you jump head first into an online tutorial the involves masking and you've never used the lasso tool or been taught how to create a layer mask you'll be butting your head against the monitor. You can pick these up new and used on eBay from $5 and up. They come with companion cdroms with all the chapter tutorial elements. Start out the the beginner book. These are the "manuals" that adobe certified instrutors are taught from. This will formulate a great basis of understanding for you to build on with more advanced lessons in the future.
I hear what you're saying Jay for people who like to learn that way. But everyone is different. To me, there's a problem with general "how-to" books on basic program features for a program as vast as Photoshop. They're too general... They don't show you how to get a specific effect that you may want to make, and its unrealistic to think that they ever could. Whereas, tutorials online do just that.

By no means do I consider myself to be a photoshop expert, but I've found my way around by checking out tutorials online of effects that I want to learn how to recreate. I look up tutorials and then look up any terms I'm not familiar with from the tutorial via photoshop's help file index, which is superb IMO.

Its all in how you like to learn new things and what you're trying to accomplish. I would be hesitent to say that there is only one way to skin a cat. ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I see virtue in both the tutorial suggestions and books recommendations. I learnt FrontPage and Cool Edit Pro - which are no doubt simple in comparison with PhotoShop or Illustrator - partly by trial and error and consulting web tutes and forums, and in the former case, I also used an Idiots Guide. All had their merits. Only thing is, I still have basic gaps in my knowledge, because I always learned only what I had to use at a particular time. There is something to be said for methodically learning all the basics in an organised way, then consulting tutes for specifics once you have a handle on the fundamentals.

DickTees.net and Moo,

I have ordered Adobe Classroom In A Book for both PShop and Illustrator CS2. It's great that, from what you say, these books take you through from go to whoa and cater for the beginner who is starting with zero knowledge - just what I want.

However, I was interested in your comment, Moo, that you are now able to apply your PhotoShop knowledge professionally. Was there enough info in the Classroom book to get your knowledge to pro level, or did you start with the basics that the book taught you and develop your knowledge through hands-on practice? If the latter, aprox how long did it take you to get proficient, please?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can answer the questions posed above in relation to Illustrator? It seems that vector graphics are the way to go for Tshirt designers, and that Illustrator is therefore an important program - maybe more useful than PShop for non-photographic designs generally?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i haven't checked back in a while, but thanks for the responses everyone! I went to Borders and just flipped thru some books last week and was just so overwhelmed...i'm so glad that you guys were able to recommend some books. thanks again everyone

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have used Lynda.com before they have online tutorials for beginners as well as advanced users. You can either purchase a DVD or use their online tutorials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow i remember learning phshop 3 back in the dayz and it had a tutorial cd with it, it was an awesome tutorial and covered all the basics, the next thing after that i just mucked around with it, im stil learning to this day, its not that hard especially if your keen to learn it, cheers :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts