T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ive been printing t-shirts and selling them on ebay for a few years, but im ready to branch out into other things.

I have a couple of designs that are photos and i would like to print them...my local printer will charge me 250+ set up fees to do my designs and that just wont do. im looking to print similar to 80's fantasy and wildlife tshirts. heres some examples at this website : www.wowch.com, wrinkydinks.com

also i want to move into waterbased ink...any online printers that do this cheap?

and finally i want to start making some all over printed t-shirts...who does these online and how do they accept designs (as in, how should these things be designed before submiting)?

thanks

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright appreciate it.

what about the photo printing? one of my local screen printers was talking about this machine that has no set ups and no one i know of has it...i dont know even what to type into google to find it.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
what about the photo printing? one of my local screen printers was talking about this machine that has no set ups and no one i know of has it...i dont know even what to type into google to find it.
He could be talking about "direct to garment" printing. There's some good information about it in this forum.

That's where the t-shirt is printed directly on by a printer.

See this post here:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3046&highlight=dtg

And this one:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3962

Direct Garment printers are great for lighter colors. Printing on dark colors/black hasn't been perfected yet, but probably will be within a years time.

Some photos can be printed by traditional screen printing methods as well (usually using a 4-6 color process setup).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, that is exactly what he was talking about...anyone on this board know of anyone who is currently doing this online as a service? im googling it and all i get is news and how to purchase the printer itself.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hi vamp!
not to clear on what you need ?
had a look at your sample shirt on your site and it looks like it is just a large size multi-color print. That sample design can be made with plastisol transfers and applied with a big size 16x20 heat press. Not cheap though.

For all over printing, sometimes the garment part or parts are printed before they are stiched together, but most of the time the t-shirts are printed with a 16x20 press.....and sometimes printed with multiple designs according to the sample/specs.

below are examples of all over printing after the garment was made,
is this what you are talking about ? if so, then a lot of transfer places can make the PHOTO TYPE iron-on's to print on ALL fabric colors for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah you'd have to go DTG I'd say. At an old job where I worked at a print shop we'd have to send out photolike artwork to get professionally separated. CMYK doesn't always have the best results. It is a pain in the *** to traditionally print those kind of designs so thats why he's charging you so much. The mesh count, haltone percentage and lots of other things are crucial to getting a good print that way.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
anyone on this board know of anyone who is currently doing this online as a service?
One way to find a company might be to contact the people that make the machines and see if any of their customers (that bought the machines) are doing printing for online customers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts