T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening from the UK.
I have been running a quite successful emergency service t-shirt website for 5 years now and have been asked the question of how we can incorporate a section where customers can design their own t-shirts. We have a standard badge (Maltese cross) which has four quadrants which needs to be personalised for each individual Fire station. Does anyone know of any companies that may be able to help us develop this new section for our website....:)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Andy,

I had a look at your site, I see you already offer personalised t-shirts, does this system not work very well? Do you want a feature where the customer can type the details in and see it on a t-shirt before purchase?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've seen software allowing it at some of the trade shows, unfortunately I can't think of any names at the moment. Realistically you can probably find an open source package that allows the users to type in text, then with some configuring you apply it to the image. Might be something I look into!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Well, did some readin on the php functinos required to do it. With some pokin around, here's my craptastic 1 hour'ish results:
My thingermajigger

If I actually spent time on it, I could center the text and everything. I expect if you wanted a professional programmer to write one specifically for ya, it'd probably be a few hundred bucks at least, and maybe up to thousands. If no one else can find such a beast at a reasonable price, I may continue to work on it, as I've been meaning to get back into programming (what I did in my former life before starting my shop and crap).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great effort Joe.
We have been working with a number of companies in the UK for over a month now and you have achieved more in an hour than they have in a month.....
You certainly have the jist of what what we are looking for..... We would require the text to be curved if possible...
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Well, I had a few extra hours today, so I updated it a bit, added color selection, and centering to the text. Looked around a bit for any kind of built-in arching, but didn't find anything, so probably something I'd haveta program myself, or do in a hackish way. Long live the thingamajig!

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Very cool Joe :) Now you just need to flip the bottom text and have different font sizes and your in business :) My hubby is a firefighter and he would love this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very cool Joe :) Now you just need to flip the bottom text and have different font sizes and your in business :) My hubby is a firefighter and he would love this.

:( I like it being upside down! Flipping it is a really easy change to do, but then I don't know if I should keep the sides the same. Next time I sit down and update it, I'm probably going to add font selection as well as size. Both shouldn't take too long, as I just have the size and font hardcoded at the moment.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
That is very very cool. Was it hard to make? I wish I knew how to do that stuff.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That is very very cool. Was it hard to make? I wish I knew how to do that stuff.
Thanks for the comments! It didn't take much time at all, probably around like 2 hours invested if that.

I spent a lot of my youth (12-21) taking apart programs and learning different programming languages. I became pretty adept at learning how applications were working programmatically by just looking at them on the screen.

Now my spare time that I spend learning/playing is usually devoted to microelectronics. When it comes to the theoretical on electronics, I'm up the proverbial creek. When it comes to broken/fried boards, modding devices, and things of that nature, I'm getting somewhat decent. I've been debating about going back to school to learn electronics. I actually have a degree in programming, but I really didn't learn much (knew most of it, and was able to easily adapt to the languages I didn't know). Would be nice to go to school to actually learn :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good evening from the UK.
I have been running a quite successful emergency service t-shirt website for 5 years now and have been asked the question of how we can incorporate a section where customers can design their own t-shirts. We have a standard badge (Maltese cross) which has four quadrants which needs to be personalised for each individual Fire station. Does anyone know of any companies that may be able to help us develop this new section for our website....:)
I'm a very new member so please excuse if I am way off base but I think what you are trying to do is called a "Virtual Sample" and there should be software available to do that. If you haven't already tried this, do an internet search and see what comes up.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Jack, there are some design programs where customers can design stuff on line, but this particular poster was looking for a way to personalize this particular emblem. Hope that expains clearer what they are talking about :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts