T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. What would your recommendation be....
I print from home onto organic cotton onesies. I've been using Speedball waterbased ink, which is terrible.
After asking around, people suggested that I try one of the three: permaset, versatex or a plastisol ink.

What would you suggest?
Also, what are the differences between all of the permaset varieties? How do I know which 'type' to buy?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
One thing is for sure, skip the plastisol.

I suggest Permaset. It's a fantastic ink. I think you'll find it much more user friendly than Speedball.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's just my personal opinion. After having worked with plastisol for a couple years, I've fallen in love with the properties and excellent results of waterbased inks. And the fact that I don't need to use as many cleaning chemicals when cleaning up. That was the main reason I switched.

Don't get me wrong, plastisol is easier to work with in some ways. But if I was starting over knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Just an opinion. Not trying to start a debate. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's just my personal opinion. After having worked with plastisol for a couple years, I've fallen in love with the properties and excellent results of waterbased inks. And the fact that I don't need to use as many cleaning chemicals when cleaning up. That was the main reason I switched.

Don't get me wrong, plastisol is easier to work with in some ways. But if I was starting over knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Just an opinion. Not trying to start a debate. :)
oh of course, not looking for a debate either. Just wanted to know what permaset ink was, cause it's new to me. I'm a new screen printer and would like to know as much as possible. I've read alot about water base and plastisol, but not much on permaset.

Can you give more detail on the clean up of permaset? So far my experience with plastisol, I use one chem. spray and just wipe. How about permaset?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been really considering going waterbased... But my biggest concern is "clogging", now that I've moved on to higher mesh counts and printing halftones... Is it possible to do that with waterbased inks without a problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
well ya, anything is possible, but are there waterbased printers out there who do achieve such methods? I just hate the plastic, shiny feel I get with plastisol, even after using additives like soft hand or a reducer. Maybe I haven't found the right ratio?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
well ya, anything is possible, but are there waterbased printers out there who do achieve such methods?
Absolutely. I didn't mean possible merely in the anything is possible sense, but rather in the achievable, but I wouldn't want to give the impression that it's always going to be easy sense.

Also, some inks (and some substrates) are easier than others. Lascaux kind of suck when it comes to drying in the screen for example (in my experience).

I just hate the plastic, shiny feel I get with plastisol, even after using additives like soft hand or a reducer. Maybe I haven't found the right ratio?
I can't really speak to that since I don't use (or like) plastisol, but it certainly has its proponents here who would claim you just need to find the right combination (I remain skeptical).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Permaset prices seem expensive to me. Maybe because it's imported?
Bizarrely, despite being made by a company named Colormaker (i.e. not Colourmaker) they're Australian. I've always taken them for granted, so I'm surprised to see the international interest. Especially since I'd been trying to source Matsui inks after reading all the praise for them. I guess the grass is always greener.

The only US distributor they list on their website is Armadillo Art: Welcome To Armadillo Art & Craft! - so try them if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Not drying in the screen, that's a good thing right?
Right. You want the ink to dry on the substrate, not on the screens. If it dries in the screen it will clog, preventing further prints.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Right. You want the ink to dry on the substrate, not on the screens. If it dries in the screen it will clog, preventing further prints.
Before I knew there was a difference, I was actually screenprinting on a homebrewed press I built, using speedball ink. In hindsight, it is infact a waterbased ink. My biggest problem that I had with it when print fine detail was clogging. I had to wipe the screen down with a wet cloth between each print to ensure I got the detail. Is this a common problem? Or is it just speedball inks?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I am also using speedball and am interested in permaset.
I went to the website and cannot find any pricing on it,
any body know distributors?
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Is this a common problem? Or is it just speedball inks?
Bit of both. It's worse with Speedball, and it's worse when you're starting out, and it's worse if you don't realise you're printing with a waterbased ink and take that into account. But it happens with all waterbased inks if you let them dry out. I've found Permaset opaque inks dry out pretty badly for example (that's why I was interested in Matsui).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts