T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i built my own DIY DTG printer. everything is nice, except the Paper sensor. ive looked on other threads for answers but i havent really found one that fits my problem.

this isnt a new thread asking for the direct answer to the problem

its more of a "lets come together and develop the solution our selves, and then ill add it to this post so when people click this they'll get the answers they need on the very first page" kind of post.

heres a video of where im stuck :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15uQ8t6ku9Y&feature=youtu.be

if you're having the same problem, post your material here as well and lets put our brains together on the subject.

EDIT: i would also like to add the question of "is it possible to bypass the need for a paper sensor all together?

· Registered
40 Posts
you can't really bypass it unless you get into some fancy electronics, but i'm sure it's possible. most of the dtg printers out there, even the UV printers by DCS, have a "flag" under the table. it's basically a small strip of metal that goes through a horseshoe shaped sensor that mimics the paper passing through the original sensor. it's probably the easiest solution without getting into programming a PLC or an MCU.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would also like to add some more info on the sensor issue.

different printers have different lengths that the platen has to be from the sensor for it to be triggered at the right time.

some say its 1.5 inches

one person said that the C88 models may be more like 1 inch

another post suggested that for some printers its 1/4 of an inch.

They best way to clear up this problem for everyone and future forum on-lookers is to list which printers have which lengths.

so lets say that the C88 is actually just 1 inch.

has anyone sucessfully made 1.5 inches work? and which printer did it work for?

does anyone have the lengths for the R200, and R230?

EDIT: i would also like to add that an unamed person suggested that the length is different for each persons build, and not just the printer.
to that i disagree, for the length should stay the same for the printer no matter its configuration [unless the sensor is placed somewhere else]

· Registered
40 Posts
the rip determines start points based on various nozzle counts. if you don't have a rip like Kothari that will start them all in the same place, it's pretty much a crap shoot. if you don't have a RIP to compensate, you'll always be a little bit off.

your hardware start point is a bit tricky to set up in relation to the flag position and the sensor positioning.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the rip determines start points based on various nozzle counts. if you don't have a rip like Kothari that will start them all in the same place, it's pretty much a crap shoot. if you don't have a RIP to compensate, you'll always be a little bit off.

your hardware start point is a bit tricky to set up in relation to the flag position and the sensor positioning.
you'll have to excuse me..but what you mean by Nozzle count?

also, is there a free rip program that will do what is needed to position it correctly?

EDIT: i do believe i may have found one free Rip software, im about to try it out now. i will share a link below so you can verify it for yourselves.

please let us know in a post if it is good or not, and if you think it will do the job of lining things up right.like SmallTimeArt suggested with Kothari.

(NOTE: its only black and white at the moment.)

SECOND EDIT: Are you 100% sure that i need a RIP for this DIY DTG printer? ive made and read posts previously and the answers i was given and found were that i only really needed RIP software if i were to print on very dark shirts like black...

(NOTE: its only black and white at the moment.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.