T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a piece of artwork on an artists site which I thought would work well with my line I am starting, and sent this artist an email asking if he would allow me to use it in exchange for a plug to his portfolio and a portion of sales. The artists was excited about it and said yes, that would be fine.

My question is, what is a reasonable amount for a website that is just starting up to pay an artist per shirt? I know big sites like Threadless and DBH they pay out a certain amount, but what would you consider a fair deal for a smaller website paying over time? I was thinking of doing something like the artist gets $2-5 out of each shirt sold up until $250 or 300 total. So they would get paid for the usage of their work, it would just be over the time that the shirts were sold.

Is this reasonable, assuming that the artists were interested in the first place without any mention of big pay?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Utemptu. Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Ok, I'll work something up, I just wanted to make sure that was reasonable. Ideally, I'd like to just flat out buy the work and then make full profit from the shirts rather than always having a cut taken out, so that is why I would have a cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.