T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
Speaking as someone who hates Paul Frank, sounds like potentially good news to me ;)

That said, a lot of what I hate about the company is likely to get a whole lot worse by the sound of it.

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
Tgraphics said:
So Paul Frank ain't your Friend!
What's you reason for hating Paul Frank, I can't help admire what he has done?
It's mostly the "Paul Frank is your friend" marketing angle (what's friendly about a personality cult, compulsive consumerism, high prices, manipulative marketing, etc.). I was also extremely nonplussed by their entry in 100% Cotton. There's an egotism about the whole company that I find really repellant.

I don't know how much of that it Paul Frank the person, and how much is the co-founders (painted in a fairly nefarious light by the above article), but unfortunately I don't see any of it improving with his departure. It does mean he can start (hopefully) doing something new, and I can answer the question in my mind: do I hate Paul Frank the man, or just Paul Frank the company? (it's not an important question, but I am mildly curious)

The general feel good with dark undertones message is good; it's not all bad. Most of their products aren't particularly innovative. The characters are overrated, but not without their charm.

Tgraphics said:
Whether you like the product or not you can't deny how successful it has been.
That I can't, nor would I want to ;)

I'm with Shag on the "great job, maybe he should have learned to put up with it..." angle.

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
zagadka said:
but asking "is this paul frank" to themselves lately must not be helping. to me, it just feels like they lost touch with the whole notion of the brand, and they've started creating things just for the money.
Yeah, it's a lot easier to simply be Paul Frank and make something, than to try and analyse "Would Paul Frank have made this?". It's a pretty crazy situation to be in (particularly given how much the employees supposedly hate PF now, if that article is to be believed - and yet everything they do is still defined by him whether he's there or not).

It must be a weird process to go through as a designer... "Is this like all the other stuff we've been making?" If yes it gets made, if it's new and different it doesn't. It's hard to get my head around.

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
Tgraphics said:
Don't take it to seriously if you are involved in the Fashion biz you know alot of it is all Hype.
It's not the hype that bugs me, it's the sociological impact.

Tgraphics said:
Have you 200% cotton I'm thinking of buying it.
I don't own it, but I have read it. It wasn't particularly memorable. I seem to recall thinking it wasn't worth buying, but I'm not positive.

Tgraphics said:
One of my favourites is The T-Shirt Book Charlotte Brunel any other recommendations would be appreciated
I haven't bought any t-shirt books lately, and a whole slew of them came out this year. I've been contemplating a spree actually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.