T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
What an excellent article! Although there has been a fall out it shows it can be done, with an intial investment of $5000 and obviously a load of talent.
thanks Kent

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Speaking as someone who hates Paul Frank, sounds like potentially good news to me ;)

That said, a lot of what I hate about the company is likely to get a whole lot worse by the sound of it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So Paul Frank ain't your Friend!
What's you reason for hating Paul Frank, I can't help admire what he has done? Whether you like the product or not you can't deny how successful it has been.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Tgraphics said:
So Paul Frank ain't your Friend!
What's you reason for hating Paul Frank, I can't help admire what he has done?
It's mostly the "Paul Frank is your friend" marketing angle (what's friendly about a personality cult, compulsive consumerism, high prices, manipulative marketing, etc.). I was also extremely nonplussed by their entry in 100% Cotton. There's an egotism about the whole company that I find really repellant.

I don't know how much of that it Paul Frank the person, and how much is the co-founders (painted in a fairly nefarious light by the above article), but unfortunately I don't see any of it improving with his departure. It does mean he can start (hopefully) doing something new, and I can answer the question in my mind: do I hate Paul Frank the man, or just Paul Frank the company? (it's not an important question, but I am mildly curious)

The general feel good with dark undertones message is good; it's not all bad. Most of their products aren't particularly innovative. The characters are overrated, but not without their charm.

Tgraphics said:
Whether you like the product or not you can't deny how successful it has been.
That I can't, nor would I want to ;)

I'm with Shag on the "great job, maybe he should have learned to put up with it..." angle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i love paul frank. love.

but asking "is this paul frank" to themselves lately must not be helping. to me, it just feels like they lost touch with the whole notion of the brand, and they've started creating things just for the money.

with that said i'm wearing my julius french terry hoodie today, and my steve the crab wallet is always in use. i like the fact i have this very large and sophisticated looking handbag and i pull out my $20 vinyl paul frank wallet. great contrast, ironic, simple- that's the paul frank that got me hooked...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
zagadka said:
but asking "is this paul frank" to themselves lately must not be helping. to me, it just feels like they lost touch with the whole notion of the brand, and they've started creating things just for the money.
Yeah, it's a lot easier to simply be Paul Frank and make something, than to try and analyse "Would Paul Frank have made this?". It's a pretty crazy situation to be in (particularly given how much the employees supposedly hate PF now, if that article is to be believed - and yet everything they do is still defined by him whether he's there or not).

It must be a weird process to go through as a designer... "Is this like all the other stuff we've been making?" If yes it gets made, if it's new and different it doesn't. It's hard to get my head around.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Lewis,
Don't take it to seriously if you are involved in the Fashion biz you know alot of it is all Hype. Look at Von Dutch/Christian Audigier/Ed Hardy.
Paul Frank was their Friend he made them loads of money then they start dictating to him.
Have you 200% cotton I'm thinking of buying it. One of my favourites is The T-Shirt Book Charlotte Brunel any other recommendations would be appreciated
thanks
Paul

·
2,957 Posts
Wow!

I never knew the story of Paul Frank (the person), and didn’t even know much about the company.

Here’s my take on the whole situation:

Paul Frank Sunich probably has some psychological issues. Very immature. I’m not sure if it’s chemical or environmental. This is just a guess, but due to the fact that he didn’t move out of his parents home until he was 32, the seemingly elementary affection his mother still holds for him (as if he were still a small child), and some of the emotional problems he has confessed himself to dealing with, I think it’s fair to say that he’s not your normal well-adjusted almost 40 year old.

Ryan Heuser is a very ambitious individual, given the fact that he started as a warehouse worker at Mossimo and eventually became the head of PR. Seeing the talent of this newsstand worker, his eyes filled with dollar signs. Also given the mental and emotional state of Paul, he probably didn’t think it would be too hard to get much of his way in the relationship.

It was perfect for him. Maybe he had aspirations of running his own business, and here was a vehicle right in front of him for the taking.

Along comes Oswald, and it’s a match made in heaven. He’s no dumber, either, and I think they both figured that as long as they worked hard and put up some money, they could live out their own dreams of becoming successful.

Did they work hard for what they have? Of course.

Did they take advantage of a vulnerable man-child? Maybe a little bit.

Is Paul himself to blame for any of this? Absolutely.

This didn’t work because I don’t think Paul ever really wanted a business. He’s not a business guy.

But owning the portion of the company that he did, entitles him to more than the $600,000 they want to give him.

The story Oswald and Heuser tell about them doing him a favor by firing him is ludicrous! They empty his office while he is on his honeymoon?! This was no doubt due to Paul not inviting them to the wedding. This could have waited until he got back so they could discuss this with him, and shows a complete disrespect for their supposed “partnership”.

Now they are running the company that they wanted all along, and without the headache of the “little boy”!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Tgraphics said:
Don't take it to seriously if you are involved in the Fashion biz you know alot of it is all Hype.
It's not the hype that bugs me, it's the sociological impact.

Tgraphics said:
Have you 200% cotton I'm thinking of buying it.
I don't own it, but I have read it. It wasn't particularly memorable. I seem to recall thinking it wasn't worth buying, but I'm not positive.

Tgraphics said:
One of my favourites is The T-Shirt Book Charlotte Brunel any other recommendations would be appreciated
I haven't bought any t-shirt books lately, and a whole slew of them came out this year. I've been contemplating a spree actually.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without Paul Frank, there would be no PFI. Without the two other guys, Paul Frank would probably still be in some basement (his mother's) with his Singer sewing machine and some vinyl.

I admire what PAul Frank and the whole thing has accomplished. I'm not really into the clothes. (Too many people wearing PF) But I like the whole story behind how they started up, and how fast they made it so big.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
Wow!

I never knew the story of Paul Frank (the person), and didn’t even know much about the company.

Paul Frank Sunich probably has some psychological issues. Very immature. I’m not sure if it’s chemical or environmental. This is just a guess, but due to the fact that he didn’t move out of his parents home until he was 32, the seemingly elementary affection his mother still holds for him (as if he were still a small child), and some of the emotional problems he has confessed himself to dealing with, I think it’s fair to say that he’s not your normal well-adjusted almost 40 year old.

Ryan Heuser is a very ambitious individual, given the fact that he started as a warehouse worker at Mossimo and eventually became the head of PR. Seeing the talent of this newsstand worker, his eyes filled with dollar signs. Also given the mental and emotional state of Paul, he probably didn’t think it would be too hard to get much of his way in the relationship.

It was perfect for him. Maybe he had aspirations of running his own business, and here was a vehicle right in front of him for the taking.

Along comes Oswald, and it’s a match made in heaven. He’s no dumber, either, and I think they both figured that as long as they worked hard and put up some money, they could live out their own dreams of becoming successful.

This didn’t work because I don’t think Paul ever really wanted a business. He’s not a business guy.

But owning the portion of the company that he did, entitles him to more than the $600,000 they want to give him.

The story Oswald and Heuser tell about them doing him a favor by firing him is ludicrous! They empty his office while he is on his honeymoon?! This was no doubt due to Paul not inviting them to the wedding. This could have waited until he got back so they could discuss this with him, and shows a complete disrespect for their supposed “partnership”.

Now they are running the company that they wanted all along, and without the headache of the “little boy”!
My thoughts exactly!
Lets take this as a precautionary tale of partnerships. Be wise not naive.

Though I must admit, I wholeheartely H A T E that stupid, fugly monkey.
And thus, I despise anything that comes from the company :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
they didnt have a money-maker without pf and, pf didnt have a chance without them.

if the guy wanders around aimlessly drinking a latte, sits on a bench in a park and dreams up a tunafish and sunflowers design he's done his part. Now the boys have something new to make more millions with. that's his role and their roles- i can see how the resentment formed and it's natural but the boys should have been smart enough to coddle him since he's their cash cow.

yeah they worked their asses off and he spent all his time being weird but without him there's no stinkin monkey.

These trends have a shelf life so it's time to reinvest in new things. BUT I'm sure they'll ride that tired monkey into the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
Wow!

Couldn't have said it better myself....no one's ever 100% responsible for the downfalls in a business relationship....I was dicked for mine...but I can admit that I was partially responsible by not working as hard as my partner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jasonda said:
I don't hate the monkey, but I don't understand why people like it. It's just so ... boring.
I also find it a bit boring.

Too bad about the company and PF, but at least he has a name to shop around (even if he can't use it for a new company :))

I was once given a VERY early Julius tee shirt, but I didn't care much for it, so I gave it away. Looking back I should probably have held on to it.
The shirt was a thick black tee with a heavy plastic type print.
I guess they learned to make better shirts over the years.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
chriscash1982 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself....no one's ever 100% responsible for the downfalls in a business relationship....I was dicked for mine...but I can admit that I was partially responsible by not working as hard as my partner.
Try telling the Enron folks that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts