T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me where i can find shiny red twill for making patches. I have an order for embroidered biker patches and have never done them before. Any input would be appreciated. I can use all the help I can get on this project.

Thank You
Karen

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've made the jacket back rocker and oval patches with heavy twill purchased at the fabric store.

I used iron on patching material (also available at the fabric store, in larger size than knee patches) on the back.

I laid the patch pattern out in Corel, then printed it, and cut it out.

Then I fused the patching material to the twill.

Next, I used a rolling cutter (like the one the quilters use) to cut the shape. The rolling cutter give a nice, clean edge.

I then used my sewing machine to overcast the edges. You don't have to use a real dense stitch as the patching material keeps the twill from fraying.

I used the Corel document to bring the patch pattern into my digitizing software so that I would know exactly where to lay out the lettering and graphics. I also ran an outline stitch around the patch edge.

I hooped tearaway backing, let the machine stitch the outline. Then I used paper medical tape to keep the patch in place on the outline of the tearaway.

Then I let the machine stitch the lettering and/or graphic on the patch.

I hope this isn't too confusing. It really was very easy...just time consuming.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Imprintables Warehouse, Stahls, Coastal Business or TwillUSA all carry red twill fabric either with or without pressure sensitive backing. Several people here, myself included, are using twill for embroidery applique's.

I have the TwillStitch Pro software that I got from Imprintables, it's simple to create patches or appliques with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts