T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v built my own DIY DTG out of an epson r200. im down to the final stages of calibrating and what not...

heres the issue im having trouble on::

when i send a print job to the printer the tray rolls forward as it should and then it stops and the paper light turns on.

i have tried covering the paper sensor with tape but no luck so far.

am i doing something wrong?

· Registered
3,216 Posts
I'v built my own DIY DTG out of an epson r200. im down to the final stages of calibrating and what not...

heres the issue im having trouble on::

when i send a print job to the printer the tray rolls forward as it should and then it stops and the paper light turns on.

i have tried covering the paper sensor with tape but no luck so far.

am i doing something wrong?
Not quite sure what your referring to when you say "paper sensor" generally this is what some refer the "PE sensor to " paper end" which is the sensor with a black lever that contacts paper to read beginning and end of print timing in stock form. look over the Epson service manual for the model and refer to the sensors for the accurate type. If it is a pe sensor error it means the timing is off it has to be spaced to the platen correctly and there is a ton of info in the forums here regarding placement for manual dtg's. check the error code with the Epson adjustment program to verify the problem, the Epson adjustment program is a great tool for troubleshooting error issues.

Additionally there are several vendors marketing auto electronic controls including spectra in about 30 days. the electronic control boards would make your build much easier to complete, giving you a powerful motor upgrade with belt drive, and microprocessor control over the print function. this is the same system all commercial dtgs incorporate in one fashion or another, these systems retro fit to any manual dtg with an Epson platform and will soon be the norm with diy build platforms over manual builds.

continue to read thru the forums on your tech and build questions and im sure someone whom has built a manual drive dtg will help you once they understand what sensor your referring to and your particular error code which the adjustment program will tell you.. best of luck

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i honestly have no idea what you're talking about. i feel as though you went right around my question completely.

what in the world is this automatic thing your speaking of? and where can i see a demonstration of it? it sounds like more work, and im not really trying to do more unless i see that its worth it.

if you or anyone else who sees this post has taken apart an epson printer you woul know that there is a paper sensor (basically a small lever that goes in between the sensor) that i think lets the printer know when there is paper in it.

my problem is getting the sensor's lever switch it on so that the print can start.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
i honestly have no idea what you're talking about. i feel as though you went right around my question completely.

what in the world is this automatic thing your speaking of? and where can i see a demonstration of it? it sounds like more work, and im not really trying to do more unless i see that its worth it.

if you or anyone else who sees this post has taken apart an epson printer you woul know that there is a paper sensor (basically a small lever that goes in between the sensor) that i think lets the printer know when there is paper in it.

my problem is getting the sensor's lever switch it on so that the print can start.
Sorry you were confused by my reply, but what im trying to relay to you is I was not sure what sensor you were referring to, but I guessed right in my reply.

I will try a different approach maybe it will be abit clearer to understand. The Epson printers have many different sensors that all do different jobs these sensors have specific names for them found in the Epson service manual for your particular model printer. Here is a list of them below, which all have a different job and function to do so accurately identifying your error code and sensor type will allow others to help you to resolve your issue. As I said previously it sounds if you have a timing error and your pe sensor is not spaced properly to the platen to trigger the print correctly. I suggest finding the "clue book" build manual here on the forums and reading thru this to further explain the diy manual builds and the sensors explanation. there are a million different reasons a printer can give you an error code (double flashing lights but I believe yours is your timing. you can run the printer in different modes. ie sheet mode, manual, manual roll etc and this effects how the pe sensor works as well as others in a given mode only you know how your setting it up!. I think if you read further on the diy build threads you will begin to understand the operation better and relate to explanations given a little better.. the auto controls takes the manual operation from the printer and a micro processor controls functions like load, stop, print, sensors, stall between layers (white underbase/cmyk) by simply pressing a button the platen will load itself etc etc. as an example it controls the pe switch, the wires plug into the auto control boards and internal firmware controls this automatically instead of using the pe switch in its mechanical stock form, in other words theres a program now controlling the printer to be error free and operate like a commercial dtg (see below videos in my signature, this is a printer controlled by a micro processor. I suggest first reading/building the manual version until you get a better understanding of whats needed and how they work and then decide if a separate control board is the road you would rather take, you will understand this more clearly as you learn the functions of the Epson converted to dtg. Everyone goes thru this starting out and your question has been asked a million times before and most experienced builders will ignore it because they see you have not read deep into the forums/ threads for info and im just trying to direct you there. all the info is here in the forums you just have to browse and read thru the threads to find it and its really in your best interest to become familiar with the conversion process.. best of luck

1 PF Encoder sensor Type: Rotary Encoder Drive voltage: 3.3VDC±5%
2 APG Sensor (1)
Type: Transmissive photo interrupter Drive voltage: 3.3VDC±5%
Sensor output:
• High: In the domain of each PG position
• Low: Between PG positions
3 APG Sensor (2)
Type: Transmissive photo interrupter Drive voltage: 3.3VDC​
±5%

Sensor output:
• High: In the domain of large PG
• Low: In the domain of small PG
4 ASF Sensor
±5%

Sensor output:
• High: Home position
• Low: Other than home position
5 PE Sensor
±5%

Sensor output:
• High (2.4V or more): No paper
• Low (0.4V or less): Paper exists
6 CR Encoder sensor Type: Linear Encoder Drive voltage: 3.3VDC​
±5%

7 PW Sensor
Type: Reflective photo interrupter Drive voltage: 3.3VDC±5%
Sensor output:
• High: No paper​
• Low: Paper exists
8 Ink Mark Sensor Type: Diffuse reflective photo interrupter Drive voltage: 3.3(5)VDC±5%
9 CDR Sensor
Type: Mechanical contact Drive voltage: 3.3VDC±5%
Sensor output:
• High: CDR Tray Base open
• Low: CDR Tray Base closed
10 Cover Open
Sensor
Type: Mechanical contact Drive voltage: 3.3VDC±5%
Sensor output:
• High: Cover closed​
• Low: Cover open

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nope, not the PE sensor, just found that out :/

im not very good at describing in but its a little black stick to the right of the printhead's resting spot, near the back of the printer (epson r200 or epson r230, c88 as well i think) that pushed up when paper is sent through, which trips a sensor that looks like the letter C (or the letter N )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.