T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the Transjet II paper with a hix 15x15 clamshell press. Pressing onto white fabric at 375 degrees for 15 seconds. Immediately after pressing I try to peel it, and the transfer media sticks to the paper backing. What do I need to do to make peeling easier? Higher temperature? More or less pressure?

Edit: I tried a few more adjustments. When I Increase the pressure, I can't peel off the backing. When I decrease the pressure some letters transfer, but the transfer material is sticky and wet and alot of it sticks to the backing.

It seem,s to work better without the teflon sheet ontop of the shirt. I assume the teflon sheet is lowering the temperature a bit. Should I increase the temp to 400?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
When you set your heat press to 375, it is probably only putting out about 370, so put your press up to 385, and try it four about 18 seconds. Make sure to pre-press each shirt, to remove chemicals and moisture from the garment.

Transjet paper is wonderfull, and shouldn't be a problem. What does it say on teh back of the paper? If it is real transjet, the paper should peel right off. You may have an immitation, but most likely you just need to perfect your time and heat.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I've never had trouble removing any kind of transfer paper I've used, really (except plastisol left on too long, I guess). So yeah, hard to say... where did you order the paper from?

Also, as jdr said, make sure you pre-press your shirts first -- put the shirt on the press and press it for about 5 seconds before you ever put the transfer on. This removes moisture and gives you a smoother surface to transfer to.

The teflon sheet in between the top platent on the paper should NOT make any noticeable difference in heat or pressure really.

Finally, just to make sure... you are giving the press time to warm up after you set the tempreture, right? It'll probably take at least a solid 15 minutes to get to tempreture with that press, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it all worked out thanks to jon. I needed to increase the heat and the duration a little bit. Getting flawless prints now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you ever have shirts that start to peel just fine, but when you get about halfway through they start sticking? This is what happenes when i peel large designs immediately after pressing. I feel like if I peel any faster the design won't stick to the shirt, but any slower and the wax coating will set up and not allow me to peel it off.

What to do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Twinge said:
Finally, just to make sure... you are giving the press time to warm up after you set the tempreture, right? It'll probably take at least a solid 15 minutes to get to tempreture with that press, I'd imagine.
Also, once you get to temp close the press for 30 sec. times three to bring the lower platen up to temp.

Mak in SD

·
Registered
24 Posts
jdr8271 said:
Theres no need to close the press first. The bottom of the press is heated too anyway.
My press doesn't have a heating element in the lower platen. I can't think of any that do. I always pre-heat the lower platen prior to pressing. You can have enough of a temp drop on the upper platen/heating element to cause problems with pressing your first item or two.

Mark in SD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts