T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well, after eight months of agony and a few interesting run-ins with a less than stellar printer, my site has finally gone live. Whew. It shouldn't have taken that long, but you know how life gets (my wife just had a baby, we moved, global warming, etc.).

Anyway, I'd appreciate some brutal critique from you folks on any aspects of the site you want to knife, so please drop on by if you get a moment. The site hasn't been optimized at all for search engines, so that's definitely on the to-do list.

thanks much,
Honeyflip

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Great work honeyflip! I haven't yet had time to dig about properly, but from a first quick first look, it looks great! Well done!

PS. the only minor things I found in a quick visit were your FAQ page has a different alignment from the others, and magnifyling an image makes it about 3mm larger.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
A small technical thing: your pages have a "1" in the bottom left corner. I glanced at your code, and scrolling to the bottom I see that you have a page counter with "ALT=1"... so I'm guessing it's the alt that's showing up. I saw it on the front page and on product page. Not a big deal, but it is a little ugly/distracting.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Oh and is the Copyright 1955 a joke or an accident? I find it a little odd.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
And Copyright 1955 might work against you should you ever want to enforce that copyright....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
From a looks perspective, it is good. Clean and simple!
Maybe add an about page, where you give a little info about your company.
For the t-shirt designs, maybe you could add a feature where the customer could see a closeup of the imprint.

From a search engine perspective, It needs some work. Add alt and title tags to the images. There is no metatag description and keywords.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, jdr. Yeah, good call on needing a closeup of the designs. That's going on the list of to-dos along with all the site optimization stuff. As far as the about-the-company stuff, did you think it needed more than what I currently have in the FAQs? I guess I can get more specific than that...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
honeyflip said:
Hmm... hey Solmu - what OS and browser were you using when you viewed my site? I can't find that errant 1 you mentioned.
I'm not sure exactly (I'm not currently on the computer I was at the time) but it was Windows XP and either Mozilla or Firefox. I'm on a similar setup now (XP Pro and Firefox) and don't see it. If I'm right about the 1 being caused by the ALT tag, that would mean the browser couldn't load the counter it was supposed to at the time and loaded the 1 instead - if that was a temporary problem and the counter now loads fine the 1 wouldn't be visible. It also just occurs to me that I was browsing from behind a firewall that blocks some peculiarly random things - it's entirely possible the problem was at my end.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I know what the problem is in terms of that errant 1. Apparently, if javascript is turned off, the Yahoo store server adds that "page counter." Seems to be a defect in their code which allows certain artifacts to slip through. I have an old college friend putting the site together for me and he says that the Yahoo code is a bit on the clunky side, though they're aggressively updating it these days (he's a programmer for an online stock trading company during his 9-5, so I assume he knows what he's talking about).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks...simplicity always seems to be what the big marketers go after: Got Milk. Just Do It, etc., so I guess it might work for a t-shirt site as well. We shall see, we shall see...

Yeah, just haven't gotten around to the 1955 yet. CominOutSwinging - just noticed you put up a site. Is that bootstrap guy modeled in 3D?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your design is nice and clean, simple. You have very sharp graphics and I like your tee designs. The site looks like a lot of other t-shirt sites I've seen which is probably good because it must work. I wish I did that kind of research before I built mine...

Ok, I'm obviously the only retard here because "pantelope" seems a strange name for a t-shirt site. I realize it probably isn't intended to have anything to do with your business and it's just a cool graphic/idea, but most marketing efforts try to tie in to the services you offer and people subconciously expect this (unless the name is nonsensical). It might be a little confusing... weird... I don't know? Did anyone else think of this or should I go hide under a rock?

=)

·
2,957 Posts
I was wondering what a pantelope was myself when I saw the web address. Of course when I went to the site, I thought it was pretty clever.

side note (sorry :eek: ):
Brian did you change your color scheme? I think your site works quite well, but I liked the other colors better. It seemed to give the site more life!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
rabid said:
Ok, I'm obviously the only retard here because "pantelope" seems a strange name for a t-shirt site. I realize it probably isn't intended to have anything to do with your business and it's just a cool graphic/idea, but most marketing efforts try to tie in to the services you offer and people subconciously expect this (unless the name is nonsensical). It might be a little confusing... weird... I don't know? Did anyone else think of this or should I go hide under a rock?
I think one of the keys with branding is to make a name that is memorable;it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with site name. Think "amazon", "google", "yahoo".

Weird is good if it makes you remember it :) It's funny too, because it has stuck in my mind ever since I saw the new signature line.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rodney said:
I think one of the keys with branding is to make a name that is memorable;it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with site name. Think "amazon", "google", "yahoo".

Weird is good if it makes you remember it :) It's funny too, because it has stuck in my mind ever since I saw the new signature line.
That's exactly my point. If it's nonsensical and has nothing to do with your business (i.e Yahoo) that's one thing, but if it's similar (pants/shirts) but not the same then it doesn't really make sense. Maybe it really is clever and I'm totally stupid? Totally possible. One thing for sure, it's definitely memorable. :)

Still, I think the graphics are a cut above and really make the site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts