T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG!! I need to vent!!
I got myself into the Worst deal ever, and there is no way out and it keeps getting WORSE!!
I usually design my own sweatshirts/T shirts aimed toward my kids sports, dance, hobbies etc.. I have HUGE success..last year I did the whole girls travel basketball league beautiful Sweatshirts everyone had one....
Well aparently the basketball association was not pleased so this year I offered to cut them in on it.. WELL WHAT A DEBACKLE!!
First , I designed the sweatshirt I contacted the president who did not get back to me for over a month so I ordered the transfers figuring I will do what I did and since I offered to kick back to the basketball program they could not complain..(IT WAS FREE MONEY) Well He (the pres) did not like my design.. he wanted boring same old name ball in middle name type shirt.. I was stuck for $400.. because he only wanted 1 type of design and that one was not to be sold...
( oh by the way he lives next door)
OK after designing the PERFECT T shirt.. weeks of deciding( you'd think he was designing the new world trade center)
he came up with the town name..a basketball with team mascot in the middle...and team name...(same as everyone else has!!)
Being Stupid and a neighbor I took no deposit
I sent his picture to be copied onto 100 transfers 4 colors $550...
He hated them... the mascot was covering too much of the ball.. so I eat the transfers and reorder 100 more...
He ordered 50 shirts ...mixed t sweat long sleeve and Hoodies... a few of each...
Now after purchasing 4 doz hoodies opening the boxes and using Half he decides he does not like the quality 80 cotton 50 polyester.. he says they are not as thick as last years.(he had done) and wants to upgrade .. he said everything so I assume it means the others too.. The rest are Gildan 50/50....
I cannot rant to my husband because he says tell him to do business elswhere.. He (the neighbor) has also asked me to try on windshirts and found something wrong with everything!! oooh and best is I am only making $1 a shirt, because I wanted to help the organization, and figured I would get a lot more work..WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE..
any suggestions how to get myself out of this before he bankrupts me?..:(

· Registered
193 Posts
I would explain to him that you are running a business and that this is bad business.You need to take control of the situation.and lay down the law to him or he will continue to walk all over you.Your husband is right if this neighbor continues the BS tell him nicely that you are unable to provide him with what he wants and kindly refer him to someone else.Someone once said "nice guys finish last" not that you shouldn't be nice but enough is enough.

· Registered
6,807 Posts
Doesnt the league have an operating board that votes on submitted designs? Why wasnt the basketball association pleased with what you did last year or were you going around them? So far it looks like you spent around $1500.00 bucks to recover a net of $50.00 and that isnt very good news. Big problem, big mistake and he still isnt satisfied. I think you need to bring up any concerns at the next association meeting and go in with satisfied parents support and some receipts.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
I agree with Corey!! Put your foot down!! Explain to him what these would actually be costing him if you charged him regular pricing, what the changes are costing you and if he wants to go any further, get at least a 50% deposit along with designing fees! Too often neighbours feel like they can take advantage. I think he's gone far enough.

The first set of transfers you will have to take a hit on those. Lesson learned, wait for customer approval before ordering. The others tho, is it a flaw with the transfers? If not, then that's the way they look. He ok'd the design.....he needs to pay for them and the additional ones he wants ordered.

If you have to send back the garments he doesnt like, charge him for the shipping and/or restocking fee. Explain to him that you cannot afford this, and he is "costing" you money. That isnt why you are in business. Neighbour or not.

Good Luck with him.......keep us posted

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have informed him to that Gildan Jerzee and Hanes are basically all the sameI have all 3 in front of me ...and to switch to another brand other then Gildan which I have for him now would cost him between 3.50 & $5 more per shirt and a minimum of 36 pieces..So far I've gotten no response.. Besides the money I am just PO'd that he is basically calling everything I am doing CRAP.. and really it is not me.. I have no control of the material gildan uses.. and Funny he specified Gildan and when I delivered it to him he loved it and the weight of it..I guess 1 person made a comment and he is freaked.. he is a perfectionist, and afraid he will look bad..so he turns it on me!!! I have a lot of orders coming in to me by e mail for this ...I cut up the first transfers and made flannel pants and the girls are going wild over them so at least I can recoup some money lost.. but if I sold them through him he would find a million things wrong.. so I am selling them on the sly.. but the way I feel I paid for those transfers, I should be allowed to use them.. He is a control freak maybe he should do it himself!! and YES i am getting made a fool of and I am FURIOUS>>

· Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree with the approach that enough is enough.

I would also sell them on the side if the parents / kids liked them and wanted them.

Although I would do my best to work with him, you need to "stop the bleeding" and let him know that he is getting what you have (unless there is a legitimage problem).

Good luck!

· Registered
849 Posts
in all the years i've been in business, the ONLY charge i've had to write off as bad debt was for......a next door neighbor :( but then again they had twin teenage sons who were both thugs, so...it seemed the better part of valor LOL you're in a tough spot, i feel your pain!! if the situation is safe and reasonable, i'd also sit him down and explain the facts of life and business to him and force him to get real or get out. if it's not a safe and reasonable situation, cut your losses and chalk it up to an expensive learning experience.

· Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, i have no sympathy.

You made assumptions about your original design without getting a sign off thinking a kick back would make it ok.

Then you proceeded on the basis of a verbal contract..... which everybody knows isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Business is business, early indications in the process were that the person was not going to be easy to deal with, i would have insisted on sign off for the design and apparel prior to production, as well as an upfront deposit. If unwilling or unable i would have walked.

Fact that he's your neighbor is irrelevant.

Good Luck

ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.