T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i finnally signed up with ups for shipping stuff... it seems i'm gonna be printing the labels online and using my own boxes to ship the tshirts

so where do i buy the packaging supplies... i remember i read somewhere in this forum blank something .com ...

somebody let me know how i package my tshirts... the boxes whatever bla bla..

·
Registered
690 Posts
USPS also offers free boxes. I use them mostly for my shirts. One shirt through USPS Priority Mail with tracking number is $6.05, which is not bad considering free boxes :)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Vtec44 said:
USPS also offers free boxes. I use them mostly for my shirts. One shirt through USPS Priority Mail with tracking number is $6.05, which is not bad considering free boxes :)
Actually 1 shirt via USPS Priority with delivery confirmation is $4.05, not 6.05 (unless the package is 2 pounds or more).

A t-shirt with packaging weighs less than 1 pound.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
nolawi said:
you know
should i have gone with usps instead of ups......?????

i'm only shipping to us and canada as of now
UPS is a bad option for long distance international shipping (to Australia for example), so if you do decide to take on a wider range of shipping destinations you'll want to at least look at USPS then.

I get the impression UPS isn't as bad (cost wise) if you're just shipping to the US and Canada, and obviously it does have other advantages over the standard postal service. Since I'm not in the US I wouldn't really know how it is for local use; but it's prohibitively expensive for international customers.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I use the tyvek envelopes, but as long as it stays under 1 pound, it's $4.05 for USPS Priority.

First Class Mail is about $2.25 for one shirt, but you have to buy your own packaging and it's a bit slower in transit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use Tyvek envolpes too as of now. But I was thinking about wrapping them in poly bags and boxing them. Just thought it might seem a little nicer.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I send my shirts in polybags, but I also use the tyvek envelopes.

Some have said they use the boxes AND the tyvek inside the box to help protect it from the elements, but I've never found that necessary.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rodney said:
I use the tyvek envelopes, but as long as it stays under 1 pound, it's $4.05 for USPS Priority.

First Class Mail is about $2.25 for one shirt, but you have to buy your own packaging and it's a bit slower in transit.
Rodney, I find going first class is only one more day. We make our decisions on timing, quantity, weight, distance, etc.

You might want to check out papermart.com They come out less than uline for us because they are local to us. I just took delivery of 100 qty of #5 jiffy envelopes for 24-cents each. Delivery was $8 something and this included 100 boxes. Even with paying for our own supplies, we make 50-cent to $2.00 on our shipping/handling charges. That adds up. Have to go to post office anyway for international shipments.

Have not priced UPS, Fed Ex, DHL yet. Will wait until we get quantity going with other businesses so can negotiate better rates.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Even with paying for our own supplies, we make 50-cent to $2.00 on our shipping/handling charges. That adds up. Have to go to post office anyway for international shipments.
If I did end up switching to first class mail, I would probably just lower my shipping prices. I'm not into making the shipping a profit center. As a customer, I always hate when I see inflated shipping prices.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
neato said:
Are the priority boxes the same to ship as the Tyvek envelopes?
where do i get tyvek envelopes...

can someone post a picture of it...

the deal i made with ups is great... but i have to buy my own packaging.. so i have no idea wehre to buy the packaging

please... thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rodney said:
If I did end up switching to first class mail, I would probably just lower my shipping prices. I'm not into making the shipping a profit center. As a customer, I always hate when I see inflated shipping prices.
I completely agree about inflated shipping. We do not inflate shipping on whatever we are selling. In fact, we see what competitors are charging and take an average or lower. In almost all cases, we make good on defective merchandise or refund (sometimes without returning products).

I think for apparel our cost is $4.95 and double for international. Everything is well-packed (as in plastic bags in case of rain, padded mailers, taped).

As many who have been selling for a while, it's a balance between the cost of your item and other factors that dictate a shipping/handling cost. And we're prepared to take a loss...that's all a part of doing business.

·
Registered
282 Posts
nolawi said:
where do i get tyvek envelopes...

can someone post a picture of it...

the deal i made with ups is great... but i have to buy my own packaging.. so i have no idea wehre to buy the packaging

please... thanks
Call United Parcel Service and haggle with them for free packaging.
I thought it was free? Just tell them the post office gives you free supplies and so will their competitors.

Also for bagging smaller items...I use 1 gallon food storage bags (not ziplock) and just make some little thank you labels (Avery style) for sealing (as in folding over merchandise). Hey, I get 50 bags at the dollar store.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts