T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used one? I just purchased a GS-624-2 for cheap, problem is, that it does not come with an interface card or RIP software. The prices that I've seen for these RIP kits are ridiculous though. Anyone know any alternative solutions or perhaps know anyone selling a used one? Any help would be appreciated, as I have never used such a device. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I used to service these things, you need a RIP, you need an interface card, probably an IKON card.
You are talking serious money!
There is no other way to run these turkeys and when you do pay to get it working they have you tied to their film which is ridiculously expensive.
Servicing is tied, I had a guy charged £600 to replace a power supply!
They have individual heaters on the heads and if one dies it leaves a white stripe down your positive. Might be worth doing a head test - it's on the system menu.
Replacement heads are - you've guessed it - an arm and a leg.
If a bit of dust gets in the printer it leaves a white stripe down your film.
Sell it and do yourself a favour.
Or talk to Autotype America, used to be Nick Buoncure & Denis Divalerio, not sure now. They ran a third-party solution for Aspect printers (badged OYOs).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... Sounds like it could be a money trap. I bought the imagesetter for about the same price that a new set of inks would cost for my inkjet, so I thought it might be a good deal. I'd hate for it to turn out like the time I bought a German car, thinking that I got a good deal on it, but didn't realize it would have to be constantly maintained for ridiculous prices. Do you think it would be possible to find the things that I need used if I wait around for the right deal? Maybe find a used card and a cheaper RIP? Or is the $4,500 Harlequin RIP the only option for this device? Thanks a lot for your help, it's almost impossible to find people who use these devices.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Hmm... Sounds like it could be a money trap. I bought the imagesetter for about the same price that a new set of inks would cost for my inkjet, so I thought it might be a good deal. I'd hate for it to turn out like the time I bought a German car, thinking that I got a good deal on it, but didn't realize it would have to be constantly maintained for ridiculous prices. Do you think it would be possible to find the things that I need used if I wait around for the right deal? Maybe find a used card and a cheaper RIP? Or is the $4,500 Harlequin RIP the only option for this device? Thanks a lot for your help, it's almost impossible to find people who use these devices.
That's the one!
I think that Wasatch might be cheaper, I can't remember what they charge for a driver.
The cards are several hundred bucks plus the cable a lot as well. Stick with inkjet, generic, safe and cheap.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mmmm thanks Positive Dave.... thats what I call a good neutral analysis....not!

Which bit about 'no company bashing' didn't you understand in the forum rules

The Facts are these....

1. A Harlequin RIP Kit and IKON Interface for an OYO Liberator GS & GMAX costs £1,795.00 in the U.K. Or you can use Colorgate's Filmgate RIP which costs a bit less.
For the Liberator XE and Techstyler the IKON Interface is not needed so the price comes down to £1,295.

2. Film cost in the U.K works out to approx £10 per sq metre. There are no other consumable costs! Plus for an extra £4 per sq metre OYO U.K offer unlimited service and support (including print head warranty).

Yes you can go the cheap & cheerful route and buy an inkjet. If you are only making a handful of screens a week that is probably the best solution for you. But for quality and speed of output the OYO machines are top notch... come to think of it that 'German Car' analogy isn't far off the mark. Does that mean ink jet = British Leyland?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been wanting a Liberator GS624 for a long time. The film cost is just too prohibitive- in my point of view. US$620.00 for 200' film isn't cheap at all.

It's a nice piece of equipment, though. I'll buy it in an instant if I have the cash.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I didn't see much in Dave's posts that would be considered company bashing, it was informative and in no way against forum rules in my opinion.

The OYO imagesetters turn out a very quality film in a quick time, "top notch" as you say. They produce a higher quality film positive compared to an inkjet and do it faster. But for you to imply that inkjets aren't for high end, or high volume shops that do more than a handful of screens per week is flat out wrong. There are way too many shops using them to argue that they are just "OK" for small shops.

If you can't produce an highly detailed screen with fine halftones with an epson and accurip, then the film output source is not your problem. There is no bottleneck in our art department so inkjet speed isn't an issue and we have no problems with halftones up to 65lpi with our emulsion and exposure unit.

Good thing OYO has DTS machines or they would be gone in a few years. We almost bought a techstyler a few years ago when we were having problems with fastrip (hope that's not company bashing), saw one in action at the ISS show and the positives were fantastic. Then we tried accurip on waterproof film and the results were great. The ink prices for the r1800 aren't ideal, but the ROI with that system was far greater than going the imagesetter route. Most people see that, that's why only a few shops, if any, in our area still use imagesetters.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
you still have the imagestter? and if so would you sell it?
if so call me 586-871-7242 Im chris
you know this is a 23 year old post, right?
it also lays out in intimate detail how horrible these machines are for parts and consumables when new, let alone a machine almost 25 years old
but this is what you really want?

i've got an '86 yugo i might be willing to let go, if you make a decent offer

you may want to take your personal phone number off a public forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts