T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm totally green to the rhinestone t-shirt world and need some help getting started. :eek: <---- THIS is exactly how I'm feeling right now- SOOOO overwhelmed!

Let me first say that I am thrilled that I found this site! And I'm even more thrilled that there is so much expertise in these forums.

Ok, so what do I have? ... a Circut Expressions cutter (don't laugh :D), a list of rhinestone designs I'd like to create, some $$ coming form Uncle Sam (lol) and motivation. Trust me when I say I know much, much, more is required. BUT the the question I need your help answering is ...where do I begin?

I will be operating from my home; my goal is to start small with online sales (i.e Etsy) and gauge the interest. I have allotted $1,000 -1,500 for my budget and from what I've been reading on the forums, it looks like I'm going to need:

*Cutter/plotter
*Software (are there any programs compatible w/ a Mac?)
*Heat press
*Rhinestones & Materials
*T-shirts
*Packaging

Did I miss anything? Does my budget sound reasonable for starting up? Can anyone offer advice/direction on manufactures for the list of items above -while keeping my budget in mind?

All comments, suggestions, and sage advice is GREATLY appreciated.

~Kandi :)

· Registered
8,073 Posts
Plus the threads listed by Rodney...just search rhinestones on the forum...there tons of threads on Ths from machines, cutters, stones transfer taro etc.....don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked. There are several of us that have been in stoning for a few years. So ask away.

One word of caution. Regardless of the software or hardware...we all have our favorite..... Just do not try to do complex, complicated images. Start with basics until you are at least part way through the Learning curve.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
One piece of advice I might offer is to get a PC. I have a customer with a Mac who will not like me saying that but I have other customers who have trouble making any rhinestone design software work with a Mac using Parallels or other programs to run Windows on a Mac. It might be a good idea to get an inexpensive PC just to use for your designing and such.

It sounds like you're going into this with your eyes open and realistic expectations.

Best to you in your new venture! :)

· Registered
492 Posts
One piece of advice I might offer is to get a PC. I have a customer with a Mac who will not like me saying that but I have other customers who have trouble making any rhinestone design software work with a Mac using Parallels or other programs to run Windows on a Mac. It might be a good idea to get an inexpensive PC just to use for your designing and such.

It sounds like you're going into this with your eyes open and realistic expectations.

Best to you in your new venture! :)
I agree get a pc.... I love macs but the softwares out there mostly favor pc environment. i would sugest starting in local market to get feet wet make stuff for friends and family to get practice , there is alot to learn but between this forum and another that i wont mention , have alot of advice and knowlege to learn from.
good luck to you

· Registered
234 Posts
One piece of advice I might offer is to get a PC. I have a customer with a Mac who will not like me saying that but I have other customers who have trouble making any rhinestone design software work with a Mac using Parallels or other programs to run Windows on a Mac.
Hmmmm. Are you talking about me? :p I guess I've been really lucky because I haven't had one problem getting Oobling or any other design software to operate on my Mac. ;)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
....I have other customers who have trouble making any rhinestone design software work with a Mac using Parallels or other programs to run Windows on a Mac.
I guess I've been really lucky because I haven't had one problem getting Oobling or any other design software to operate on my Mac. ;)

Hmmm...I have a Mac that runs Parallels, and I'm thinking about purchasing WinPCsign (it comes with a starter kit I have my eye on.) Is the software too technical for a beginner? Can I just run it on the PC side or do both platforms have to run simultaneously?

~Kandi

· Registered
234 Posts
Hmmm...I have a Mac that runs Parallels, and I'm thinking about purchasing WinPCsign (it comes with a starter kit I have my eye on.) Is the software too technical for a beginner? Can I just run it on the PC side or do both platforms have to run simultaneously?

~Kandi
Winpc was my first design software. I installed on the PC side through Parallel.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
LOL... Yes, Krystle was the customer I was talking about. She sure does love her Mac! :p

I know she has had great success with her Parallels to the point that I have actually asked for her assistance with other customers attempting to run the same setup. I know she has done just fine with wpc as well as with OOBling. That said, I do have other customers who haven't been as successful. When I was starting out, I was using my laptop pc for all of my personal stuff as well as my work and design stuff. It was suggested to me that I purchase an additional desktop PC just for my work stuff so that it would run more smoothly. I didn't listen and my laptop started showing signs that the hard drive was about to crash. I quickly went out and bought an inexpensive desktop PC and just installed my work programs and design software on it. My laptop did indeed crash and I was able to have it reformatted and the OS reinstalled on it but it lost everything. I was so grateful that I had backed up to the new PC. And that was NOT a cheap laptop. I spent a lot of money on that thing and it was barely a year old.

Anyway, I'll get off of my soapbox.

Whatever setup you decide to go with, you can see already that you will have plenty of support here on this forum. There are a lot of people happy to help and/or point you to someone/a thread which can help you. :)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL! Stephanie, I wasn't calling out Krystle as the "Mac User", I had no clue who you were referring to. But I'm glad you two can laugh about it.:)

UPDATE: I wanted to share with all of you that I received my EIN yesterday [insert happy dance]. Yay!!....BUT I think I made my first mistake already. I listed my home address - that's where I'll be working from- for the business. Unfortunately, I stumbled upon a forum that discussed this very issue after the fact.:(

So I'm looking into getting a mailbox at my local UPS store and changing the info. I have a funny feeling it's going to be a looooong learning curve. *sigh*

Thanks a bunch for the advice and support!
~Kandi

· Registered
408 Posts
UPDATE: I wanted to share with all of you that I received my EIN yesterday [insert happy dance]. Yay!!....BUT I think I made my first mistake already. I listed my home address - that's where I'll be working from- for the business. Unfortunately, I stumbled upon a forum that discussed this very issue after the fact.:(

So I'm looking into getting a mailbox at my local UPS store and changing the info. I have a funny feeling it's going to be a looooong learning curve. *sigh*
What mistake? Doesn't matter where you EIN is registered. Only your resale permit has to reflect where you actually do business (your home) but can have a different mailing address.

· Registered
408 Posts
Hi debz...do I need a resale permit if I intend to sell online?

~Kandi
You will need a resale permit to BUY anything that you need to make what you want to sell online. And, yes, you need one to sell, also. If you don't have one, eventually your state's sales tax board will find out. Not pretty...

· Registered
2,125 Posts
If you want to sell online, you will need a local business license. In my town, I listed it as a home based internet business and I get a break on the license fees. If you're selling to schools locally, your town will check into whether you have a business license. That's different from a seller's permit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.