T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get into screen printing and have a press and a flash dryer but I am having trouble exposing my screens and burning my images. It is really a pain in the *** for me (home-made exposure unit - I don't have enough money to buy a real one currently) and was thinking about just outsourcing that process until I can buy the proper equipment to expose it right. What are your suggestions on doing something like this? Anyone else do this? I am looking for some input on whether is it worht it for me to do this for a little bit or to just wait a while until I have enough money to buy a unit. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
What are you using for exposures now and what times are you exposing your screens for? Before I bought a UV BL exposure unit I used a 500W halogen light and exposed for about 12 minutes. This worked good for solid lines and spot colors but pretty much useless for halftones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Boston, MA. Right now I have the 500watt halogen but I don't really have a good spot for a darkroom. It usually just doesn't work out. I would need a lot of halftones done too. I am currently in band and will just do designs for us for now but a lot of my friends are also in bands and I will do a lot for them also when I have the capability. Right now I don't NEED any screens dont but I am just looking for a place I can talk to and get screens when I need it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to buy "Screen Printing - for fun or for profit" in addition I would buy a exposure calculator. They cost only about $25-35 depending on where you buy it. The book only $39.95, but it taught so much about screen printing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, one other thing. You got into screen printing I'm assuming like most us, to do work yourself and not to have others do it for you. So don't outsource you screens! If your going to do that then shut down your shop and let someone else do all the work. Printing is only about 40%. Screen preperation is the biggest aspect that should not be over looked. Do your homework. It sounds like you had to learn a little bit to get where your at now so the complete distance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ya' buddy....i had a problem with that until i got here and read and learned the concept of exposing....now i have a home
made 1000 watt mh unit and burn great halftones in 45 sec. and i built this unit with the info on here!!...and the best part is that it only cost me about $250.00 to build it...ask and i'll show

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes you should post for others to know about. That's what this is all about. It's funny however when you think about all the equipment that you use in the beggining. I'm actually lucky to just get hired working for a cool company. Check us out at consuul.com. I just went from use a home made exposing unit to using a professional unit. There is a big difference. You can learn alot from online usage & by all means never stop learning. Just make sure you have the basics down and you ask questions when you don't know. Never stop learning!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts