T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to figure out Corel.
I take a simple word, and create an outline, checking 'behind fill' and 'scale with image'.
Then I choose arrange> convert outline to object.
I separate the 2, delete the original, and use the outline as my new word.
This allows me to add an outline around the outline, and if I do it right the the center of each letter is open, so the color of the shirt shows through.
There are very few fonts that are open, so I've been using this work around. Turns out F&M can't print it, so yet another bunch of wasted hours.
One youtube video showed that you can do this with contour, but I've never been able to find that video again. And I'm not at all thrilled with the contour tool, prefer to stick to the outline tool.
Suggestions most appreciated.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I finally find the 'break contour group apart'.
I chose that.
The result- neither one of them has an open center, which is what I am trying to do.
I want to see the color of the t shirt through each individual letter.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
That'll do.
Why can I not seem to do that?

Its not hard to do, but hard to learn the button that does it.

Once again use your contour tool, but up at the top where you can set your thickness, set your number of steps to 2. That way you get the Letter, a outline and a second outline. For a true see through letter, make both the letter and 2ed outline black, and make the 1st outline white. Then create a Black and White Bit Map, 600 DPI (thats what I always use), and Trace it. That way you are left with a Letter, Clear Space, Outline.

Also, if you want to tell me what you want outlined, and the font you want, and your email, I can send you it done

· Registered
2,428 Posts
Oh my!
This might help...
Type your letter(s)
Add a contour with the steps set to 2 set the size you want/need
Go to arrange and use the break apart.
Click off so nothing is selected
Click on the outline you just created with the contour tool
Go back up to arrange select ungroup, arrange and combine
you can now choose a different color for the outline you should have a gap and then your inside letter.
If you just want a background you only set the steps to 1 and you don't need to do the break ungroup and combine step.
If you are looking to do just an outline letter the steps I gave you the first time should work causing the center to be the shirt color.
No need to convert to bit map and retrace.
Let me know if it is still unclear.

Attachments

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, you are so patient, I am so very grateful.
I have an S.
I am choosing 2 step contour, but all I see for color choices is stroke and fill.
After I click apply, THEN a second fill color is visible on the top, but
I cannot get the 2nd fill color to be selectable.
I've read and reread the instructions in help, and here, and still cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am just so inexperienced with Corel that I am getting way ahead of my abilities.
I hate to drag you guys into a basic discussion, so will keep watching videos.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

· Registered
2,428 Posts
I think I am just so inexperienced with Corel that I am getting way ahead of my abilities.
I hate to drag you guys into a basic discussion, so will keep watching videos.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Take a look at this and see if it helps...
The first S is just typed.
The second S has the contour added, if you look at the Properties Bar at the top fo the screen it will show you the steps, the offset (how big the contour will be) and the colors. If the letter you are starting with has an outline remove it, it will just confuse the issue.
The colors at this point don't matter. Just add the countour. Once you have it added don't click off of it. Go to Arrange and Break Countour Group Appart. click off the letter and click just in the new contour. the Status line at the bottom of the screen should say group of two objects on layer one. Go to arrange and select Ungroup then arrange and combine you should get the last S. in the attached image I show the Contour tools on the Properties Bar above the S's
Don't give up.

Attachments

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH OH OH
It worked!
This program is so close to magic, and there are all these hidden incantations, and you have to follow all of them so precisely or you turn back into a frog.
How the heck do folks figure out such complex contrived workings?
I saw this once in a video, then could never find it again.

THANKS, I will keep practicing until I remember it.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

· Registered
2,428 Posts
OH OH OH
It worked!
This program is so close to magic, and there are all these hidden incantations, and you have to follow all of them so precisely or you turn back into a frog.
How the heck do folks figure out such complex contrived workings?
I saw this once in a video, then could never find it again.

THANKS, I will keep practicing until I remember it.

THANKS THANKS THANKS
Wait until you find the magic wand tool!!!! Then everything will become clear! LOL :rolleyes: You just have to keep working with it. I used to teach classes and have been using it for more than 20 years...frogs have been gone for a long time! :p
Hey that is what the forum is for...people helping people learn!

· Registered
1,534 Posts
The simplest way to do it is probably like this: Create a black letter. Place an outline on it, maybe CMYK white. Copy it to the clipboard then paste it back in and move the new copy to the back, then change the color of the outline to something visible like green and make it much larger. You'll visibly see what it should look like. It will be Black with a white "inline", then a Green outermost outline. Now, if the black and green were spot colors, then they would print no problem. You just need to use the spot colors you want to use. Use the Pantone Coated palette to choose colors from.

The contour options work also but if it's complicated then this simple method of using two letters, one in front of the other is as simple as I can think of.

Convert the text to curves so that there are no missing fonts issue before sending for print.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
regular outlines are a pain to use, especially if you are mocking up something, they never scale correctly. And then when you go to print, or cut, they never show up, and many places like F and M wont take a letter with an outline without it being a vector

· Registered
2,428 Posts
I almost always create designs for cutting, you can always print them. But a design set up for printing will not always cut...correctly. This is why I gave the steps the way I did.

As with any program you do things the way you were shown or figured out for your self. Over the years I have used the Contour tool for many things, I use it a lot to make cutting shapes to trim other objects and letters faster than hand moving nodes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.