T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it just to check if my tranparencies are opaque enough
it's puzzling me..you made that yourself and printed it on your printer right?so how are you going to know if your transparencies is opaque enough if your "exposure calculator" is printed on your same printer?can you control the opaqueness of your printer (i am thinking you are printing on a normal desktop printer)?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Re: I need help with my homemade Exposure Unit!

it's puzzling me..you made that yourself and (1) printed it on your printer right? (2) so how are you going to know if your transparencies is opaque enough if your "exposure calculator" is printed on your same printer? (3) can you control the opaqueness of your printer (i am thinking you are printing on a normal desktop printer)?
I'd bet you have a more expensive and above normal printer.

I should be the one puzzled. You are asking me if it was printed on my "normal" printer, I still haven't replied, but it was immediately followed by 2 questions based on drawn conclusions.

1). I spent about P120 to P150 for my original copy. I guess your 2 follow up questions not giving me a chance to answer is now moot and academic.

You are aware that my shop is located in a commercial mall within a major commercial complex and is very accessible to a number of commercial printers, meaning I could have just slipped out and have a copy re-printed, to make you (what in the vernacular is called) MAPAHIYA or MABARA. I could also simply claim I still have that copy on hand and you wouldn't even know. But I won't lie so I am saying I have lost that copy.

I have a copy printed on my office printer, and have used that copy since. And to be courteous as I think all people here should be (and not being self-confessed critics, or habitually scrutinizing other people's post to find loopholes, as some people believed their role in a forum is), I will nevertheless answer your question.

2). how are you going to know if your transparencies is opaque enough if your "exposure calculator" is printed on your same printer?
To repeat, the original was printed for P120 or P150. Costing for self printed copies should cost P1.50 or less so the printer must be a good one. I guess another wrong assumption. To answer:

a. inks from various resellers may have different opacity.
b. I use pigment inks but some say dye inks are better.
c. I may go back to using original inks instead of CISS.
d. I may buy another printer
e. I often print using best photo mode. I sometimes print mostly text images in photo mode only.
f. I usually print in 300dpi if the software I am using allows it. However, some color separation program suggests that you print in 150-200dpi only.
g. If someone gives me a transparency for exposure, by looking at their transparency, I hope to have a better idea if their transparency is opaque enough.
h. Printing problems may arise affecting opacity. Maybe ink clogging visible on exposure, uneven opacity, etc.
i. Most programs allow you to replace default printer settings which may affect opacity.

This gradient type calculator should be helpful any of the above situation. The various shades of black will hopefully give me an idea how far off a print positive is.

(3) can you control the opaqueness of your printer
I am not sure if this is a trick question or what. Well, to be courteous and to assume that it is an honest question-to-goodness question, I'd say I can adjust the print quality or the dpi of the image which affects opacity. AND OF COURSE YES. Can't your printer print in various printing modes like draft mode(least paque), text mode, text and image mode(medium opacity), photo mode, and best photo mode(best opacity for the printer)? My printer, and others I've used, allow the user to disable fast printing which seems to result in better prints (yours should have the same or a similar option)

I am also using ghostscript although I am not sure if it works for my printer model.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

nope i dont know you personally and im not aware of your personal infromation..all is an honest question that's why i said its puzzling me..if its not an honest question i would have said that what you are doing is wrong or cant be used then you can start all your bubbling post..but as i said, its an honest question..

so, how can you say the "original copy" that was lost is opaque enough?if you asked me i just use any opaque materials such as coins or boards to compare if my positives is opaque enough..at least what im comparing my film to is 100% opaque..dont even have to spend much..but that is just to compare the opacity of my film and that's just me..i believe this "original copy" of yours have other purposes than opacity check..

·
Registered
9,534 Posts

nope i dont know you personally and im not aware of your personal infromation..all is an honest question that's why i said its puzzling me..if its not an honest question i would have said that what you are doing is wrong or cant be used then you can start all your bubbling post..but as i said, its an honest question..

so, how can you say the "original copy" that was lost is opaque enough?if you asked me i just use any opaque materials such as coins or boards to compare if my positives is opaque enough..at least what im comparing my film to is 100% opaque..dont even have to spend much..but that is just to compare the opacity of my film and that's just me..i believe this "original copy" of yours have other purposes than opacity check..
C'mon chard, you have posted publicly that you know my shop is located at farmers plaza near vctradingcubao's shop. But there is nothing I can do if you won't admit it. I'll just let those who have read it judge your character. I also posted a few times where my shop is butr I am sure you haven't read any of those posts. And yes, the location under my avatar says Cubao (which is like saying downtown New York although not as classy) but I am also sure you haven't noticed it.

How does one compare, and what is the purpose of comparing a printed transparent film to a 100% opaque material like coins as you say you'd do? Be serious chard, you use a 100% solid metal to compare the opacity of transparent film positives and not just to test exposure? No transperncy film, even those printed with laser printers several folds over, can be used against a solid metal "to compare if my positives is opaque enough" (to borrow your words on how you do it). You are an engineering student so you know. But if that is the way you do it then perhaps you would like to share with us the details of how and why you do it?

Please just contribute and share chard. A member's role here is not that of a critic (asking testing questions and posting contradicting arguments just for the heck of it) like you said it is. Don't persist in acting like a teacher or examiner that is your style. QUESTIONS QUESTIONS AND QUESTIONS AFTER STRINGS OF PURPORTED INNOCENT QUESTIONS.

If you are enticing me to another 3-4 pages of endless "innocent" questions and arguments, I think I have posted enough information so use common sense chard. How do you know your film positive is opaque enough to proceed with the exposure? How do people know that the various exposure calculators they are buying is/are opaque enough?

That's the defective way I do it chard. So again, please enlighten us with the details on how you do it.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

with all respect, ok i know your shop is located at farmer's plaza..does it means i suppose to know that your shop has access to this and that?i havent been there in my entire life..how will i know what access do you have..access to a comfort room that i can assumed for sure..

so "C'mon" brojames, dont make these thread your journal..as i said all is honest question..now if you'll excuse me and go back to the topic and answer the question if you may..

·
Registered
9,534 Posts

with all respect, ok i know your shop is located at farmer's plaza..does it means i suppose to know that your shop has access to this and that?i havent been there in my entire life..how will i know what access do you have..access to a comfort room that i can assumed for sure..

so "C'mon" brojames, dont make these thread your journal..as i said all is honest question..now if you'll excuse me and go back to the topic and answer the question if you may..
OK, now that you got your memory back and admitted to a lie, let's see.

We are talking about a major mall commercial center where the first and largest covered astrodome in Asia is located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneta_ColiseumFDarmers Plaza is located directly across Araneta Center, the largest entertainment venue in Asia. The first covered dome in Asia. The venue of the PBA basketball games held 3X weekly where most men in this basketball crazy country dreams of watching the games live. Where all Manny Pacquiao fights are aired live. Where even the Mayweather-Mosley fight will be aired live come May 2. Where all big concerts are held (Tom Jones, Julio Iglesias, Kelly Clarkson, and all other important concerts).

It is the intersecting point of 2 of the country's 2 light rail transit system. It is also the intersecting point of the country's 2 major thoroughfare namely EDSA and Aurora Blvd. It is where the major integrated bus station is located(To all southern luzon even reaching some major visayan islands).

And when I mentioned there is a DEECO electronics branch here at farmers you seem to be familiar of the place. At least you did not ask where farmers is located like someone interested in dropping by but unfamiliar with the place would.

Still no idea what shops to expect here? This is a commercial center and is even better known than the capital city of Manila.

Your question? This one?
x x x

I am not even sure if it deserves an answer.

But just the same, I already told you that I believe I've posted enough info on the defective way I do it (refer to post 39). I've also posted that transparencies, even those printed with a laser printer many times over, can't compare with a solid metal especially with the thickness of a coin. So if you do it that way, do enlighten us on how you compare exposures using transparencies with those using solid metals to see "if my positives is opaque enough".

I am sorry for these extra post but chard, especially lately, spams threads with INNOCENT QUESTIONS, POINTLESS ASSERTIONS, USELESS ARGUMENTS, etc. like in this case, still insisting I answer his question. I posted that I've already given the information - meaning I don't have anything else to add.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I am sorry for these extra post but chard, especially lately, spams threads with INNOCENT QUESTIONS, POINTLESS ASSERTIONS, USELESS ARGUMENTS, etc. like in this case, still insisting I answer his question. I posted that I've already given the information - meaning I don't have anything else to add.
sir, please look at the time i posted my question on the time you edited your post..i posted my question 30mins earlier than the time you edited (more of like cheated) your post..and when i posted my question, those informations werent there yet (but your accusations were) nevertheless i dont have to ask the question that has already been answered..

i believe your reactions and post here were the ones that is a "spam, POINTLESS ASSERTIONS, USELESS ARGUMENTS.."..but you know what, forget i asked you a question since you are incapable of answering it objectively.. (now that you can call accusation but not pointless)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts