T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with starting my apparel company I have artists creating original work from my ideas, designs, etc...

How do I then get those ideas in a "printable" format that I can then present to the screen printing companies I am interested in working with?

Yes, they've told me a "format" they will need the file to be in for them to use, but I'm wondering whats the best way to ready the artwork. I understand it will be some sort of rendering through illustrator or photoshop, so I'm looking for the best explanation on how it goes from a piece of paper to something the screen printer can work with?

Thanks in advance!

JP

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
trace sketch with vellum and a black pen on a light table
Scan the sketch
Use Live Trace to create vector, or manually trace in Illy/Corel with pen tool.
Clean up nodes & tweak objects

Get good with the bezier pen tool.

There is no substitute for practice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glenn, do I have to do that with every piece? I was hoping more to just scan the art to the person I have working with photoshop and illustrator and have it recreated into something that can be used as a template...

Re-tracing and all that seems like it will compromise the original quality of the work, and also can prove long and tedious for larger pieces of art...

Is there no other way?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
depend on the art and the printing process. Is it going to be 4-color process? DTG? screen printed spot colors?

You may be able to just scan the art, then use photoshop, quick seps, or fast films to create the color separations.

post an example to get more specific comments about your situation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
See if you can find artists that have worked with screenprinters in the past. Our artist has had to recreate some really bad artwork "from designers" before. It would have been easier for the client to give us their ideas, and we would have created the art properly the first time. On that note talk with your printer they may be able to help you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts