T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to ask this for a while...

For those of you junkies out there who are like me and have a TON of t-shirts in your wardrobe that you like to wear often, how do you organize them?

Is there some secret shelving system that I don't know about that would be perfect for t-shirts?

Do you just hang them up on hangers, fold them in a drawer? Pile them up on the floor?

There has to be a nice t-shirt wardrobe organizational system for people who like to wear a lot of t-shirts.

Something that will let you see the different designs on the front (are you feeling artistic today, want to make a funny statement tomorrow) and easily browse through them.

If something doesn't exist, between our massive t-shirt minds, we should be able to come up with an ideal solution :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
fun topic Rodney. :)

well, if you own a retail store you can keep them there.

....may be open a store.
....mark the ones you like at a ridiculous high price so that no one buys them. :D

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
For those of you junkies out there who are like me and have a TON of t-shirts in your wardrobe that you like to wear often, how do you organize them?
Hmm, what counts as a junkie? :) I probably only have about thirty five - more than the average bear, but I imagine I look like a lightweight beside you (believe it or not I didn't even wear t-shirts five years ago, at all).

I have a clothes rack for my t-shirts. They're all hanging on coat hangers and organised much like a library. Shirts from the same website hang together, within that they're sorted by colour, and I try and hang similar websites next to each other (so ThinkGeek shirts are next to Jinx shirts for example).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It's only 50 years ago that tshirts were considered strictly male underwear....

Hung up in no particular order, as unlike you crazy folks, I am not totally anally retentive.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So hanging up on hangers isn't "taboo" for t-shirts? I thought I read here that it stretches out the neckline.

I admit, most of my t-shirts are hung up in the closet (but not by color).

Sometimes I pick out the t-shirt of the day by "feel" (seeing which ones are ringspun/soft).

Hmm, what counts as a junkie? I probably only have about thirty five - more than the average bear, but I imagine I look like a lightweight beside you (believe it or not I didn't even wear t-shirts five years ago, at all).
Funny you should ask :) According to a recent survey, most people owned between 11-20 t-shirts. Over 31+ qualifies you as a junkie (see attachment A for reference :))

Attachments

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Just wash dry and fold...put em on a shelf. I go through 2 or 3 a day from working outside, my girlfriend, evening wear for the net and tv. I have never considered a T-shirt fashion. Just comfortable clothing I live in everyday, for work, play, lounging.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
So hanging up on hangers isn't "taboo" for t-shirts? I thought I read here that it stretches out the neckline.
I've heard that a lot too, I'm just not convinced it's true.

I suspect the problem is people who are too lazy to hang shirts properly (i.e. they insist on shoving the hanger through the neck) so they are stretching the neckline themselves.

I don't know. I've never noticed a problem with stretched out necks though (but I'm not a tight neck tee kind of guy anyway).

Rodney said:
According to a recent survey, most people owned between 11-20 t-shirts. Over 31+ qualifies you as a junkie (see attachment A for reference :))
Heh :) Even by that survey a quarter of respondents have more than 30 t-shirts though, which seems pretty significant. Where's that from by the way?

Curious to answer that very question, a quick google search turned up a poll in which almost 60% had over 30 (and 17% over 60)... rather depends on who you ask (hmm... I might start a poll to find out how many the forum members have).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Solmu said:
rather depends on who you ask (hmm... I might start a poll to find out how many the forum members have).
I put a poll up (here) if anyone wants to know.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Rodney said:
That might make it hard to get dressed in the morning :)
You gotta be dedicated man! Move into the store!!

Rodney said:
I think this depends on how much you care about the neck being really tight more than anything. Personally, I'd rather it be loose.

That said, I'm just shoving my shirts in drawers. I don't have a massive collection right now, though it is slowly growing nowadays. The few times I have hung up t-shirts, there wasn't any significant distortion; not enough that I noticed any difference anyway.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suspect the problem is people who are too lazy to hang shirts properly (i.e. they insist on shoving the hanger through the neck) so they are stretching the neckline themselves
Umm, at the risk of being one of the aforementioned "lazy" people, what is the "proper" way to hang t-shirts on a hanger if not putting the hanger through the neck?

Heh Even by that survey a quarter of respondents have more than 30 t-shirts though, which seems pretty significant. Where's that from by the way?
It's a survey I ran for a while on t-shirtcountdown

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Rodney said:
Umm, at the risk of being one of the aforementioned "lazy" people, what is the "proper" way to hang t-shirts on a hanger if not putting the hanger through the neck?
You put the entire hanger through the bottom of the shirt and pull only the hook up through the neck opening.

The "lazy" way to do it is forcing the entire hanger through only the neck opening.

·
Registered
950 Posts
OK, I don't know how I got this way..

I have two rows of clothes in my closet; an upper and lower row. The lower row gets all of my nice dress shirts and nice Fall sweaters and stuff. I never wear anything that is on the lower row. Most of them still have all the tags on them.

The top row has all my t-shirts which are hung so that all the fronts are facing left. They are all on thick plastic hangers which are all the same. They are sorted by lights and darks. I never do my laundry until I'm almost out of t-shirts so that way I get to wear almost all of them before I have to start over again. Anything I haven't worn during that "cycle" gets pushed to the far right of my closest which effectively pre-sorts the t-shirts for the different seasons. All summer, the winter themed t-shirts keep getting pushed to the right. In the winter the summer tees get pushed to the right.
After I've worn them for several years (mostly concert tees and biker tees) they end up getting fairly worn out and then they go into the bottom drawers of my dresser (unfolded). These are my "mowing the lawn and working on my truck" tees. After they get screwed up even more, they turn into general shop rags which go into a box in the garage. So there you have the life cycle of my tees and how I organize them until they die.

By the way, I don't think hanging the tees up is what ruins the necks, it's when you decide which one you want to wear and then yank it off the hanger without taking it taking the hanger off the rod. You need nice hangers too that support the tees from the shoulders instead of just the neckline.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This really is a good question! I am actually having a really hard time with this right now. I don't want my house to look like a store. I thought about putting a clothing rack in the extra bedroom but I just can't do it. Putting them in draws is hard because I find myself only wearing the top 2 layers everything else seems to get forgotten. Ugh...the life of a t-shirt junkie!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
Like Jasonda covered, through the bottom.

If the neck is wide enough or the hanger short enough it may not be necessary, but for the majority of the clothing size range the neck has to be stretched to fit the hanger in that way.

Rodney said:
It's a survey I ran for a while on t-shirtcountdown
I should have known :)

So I guess you could view it as the average number of t-shirts a person who wants to buy more t-shirts owns :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts