T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Organic cotton is a vast improvement over normally cultivated cotton but there are other choices. You should keep in mind that Tee's made with bamboo or hemp, blended with organic cotton are also available. Using these more ECO-friendly fabrics will help grow the industry and eventually make them more available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all, the main benefit to bamboo being used for textiles is at the cultivation level. There are so many benefits to growing bamboo as opposed to cotton that it is an absolute no-brainer. Also, with regards to global warming, lets not forget that bamboo is a huge carbon sink and takes carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere about 4 times faster than hardwood or conifer forests.

Secondly, "chemical nightmare"? Come on, give me a break. No one goes in to see a bamboo extrusion plant because it is a patented and highly sought after process. The 2 or 3 plants in China supplying all of the bamboo fiber right now are Oekotex100 certified to produce a chemical free end product and SA8000 certified for responsible practices. The main dangerous chemical is caustic soda (or sodium hydroxide) which I certainly wouldn't want to drink but is also the main ingredient in 99% of soaps made. Interestingly, caustic soda is also widely used as a washing agent for organic cotton and passes international organic standards. I wonder if they use it in a closed loop like the bamboo textile industry is reputed to?

The point is, there is no such thing as perfection in the new GREEN marketplace. Everyone should organically grow their own cotton, hemp or bamboo and then beat it with rocks to make fiber which is then hand woven and made into tough (but fashionable) jumpsuits. The various ECO-fibers available out there such as hemp, soy, bamboo, tencel, etc are ALL better choices than regular cotton. I believe that most are even better than organic cotton but to put them into some kind of GREEN hierarchy just makes it easier for people to marginalize the benefits of choosing them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.