T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi would like to ask if anyone used the 641 on their cars or motorbikes? i had been reading the threads and it seems that the 641 is not recommended for such applications.

On the oracal Website they stated that for vehicles they recommend 651 and above.

So lets say i use the 641 on my car how long will it last, or how long before the gloss laminate start to peel off?

I stay in asia where it is hot, humid and rain...

·
Registered
321 Posts
if you clean and degrease the surface properly, it will last for about 2 years.
i am refering to cut vinyl, if you print it i could'n say.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I highly recommend following the manufacturer's recommendations regarding the use of their products. You answered your own question by stating that Oracal does not advise use of their 641 product line for vehicle graphics. You are in a hot, humid climate, so anything other than a high performance, cast vinyl is not a wise choice. Price is always the reason people use intermediate vinyls and that should not be the determining factor in your choice of vinyl. If you sell someone cheap vinyl, they will not come back to you after the inevitable failure of the vinyl. You should consider long-term affects of selling a cheap product. Spend a little more money for quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ok but still if anyone got use this before can tell me how long it wil last as my local supplier only brings in the 641...

·
Registered
321 Posts
again - about 2 years, people arounh here use it all the time:)

i agree with astromark, but, sometimes, in in some regions, there are specific needs...i am in the same situation

you could tell your customer that it will last for 2 years, wich may sound reasonable enough.

the weather in your region will not help you very much, as 641 has a water based adhesive; try to find an Avery supplier, their 500 Event vinyl is cheaper than Oracal 641 and it has a solvent based adhesive; i use it all the time, and if you properly degrease and clean the substrate- there will be no problems; for that, find some isoprophilic alcohol, the electronic parts stores must have it - it's the best way to clean the substrate, i first use a cheap window cleaner, with no perfume, if possible, and then use the iso alcohol. never had any isuues)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts