T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seeking legal advice on this subject...yet:rolleyes:

I am seriously considering setting up at local fairs and events with some stock products but am thinking of adding custom products that allow customers the choice of adding a name or short saying to t's or flags.

So I would like some opinions on the possibility of being sued because of printing a trademark slogan on a one of a kind custom shirt printed at the customers request?

Say I have a quad template and someone wanted "just do it" printed along with a checkered flag swish. What is the odds of being sued over a customers idea on a one of a kind shirt?

Just an obvious example... I know Nike has that one and has really deep pockets so I would refuse that request but... there is no way to investigate every saying request at a fair!

Maybe it would be safer to allow names only?

Just in the planning stages now and looking at all the pros and cons.

Thanks, Cathy:D

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If you stay clear of any obvious trademark infringement, and have a customer sign a waiver stating it's their own property, then you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Exactly. You can make it short enough not to be intimidating, but it covers a lot of bases for you :) Also acts as a record for you.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Exactly. You can make it short enough not to be intimidating, but it covers a lot of bases for you :) Also acts as a record for you.
I like this idea a lot myself. I think getting things in writing is best. To bring in the legal part, you could always have a Attorney to help you with the wording to insure you are protected. .... JB

·
Registered
229 Posts
a disclaimer form is an excellent idea.
Also remember that in most cases you will receive a cease and desist letter from a company that feels you're infringing on a trademark or copyright.
So if you do happen to print a trademark unknowingly and the trademark holder finds out, you will more then likely get a cease & desist letter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not seeking legal advice on this subject...yet:rolleyes:

I am seriously considering setting up at local fairs and events with some stock products but am thinking of adding custom products that allow customers the choice of adding a name or short saying to t's or flags.

So I would like some opinions on the possibility of being sued because of printing a trademark slogan on a one of a kind custom shirt printed at the customers request?

Say I have a quad template and someone wanted "just do it" printed along with a checkered flag swish. What is the odds of being sued over a customers idea on a one of a kind shirt?

Just an obvious example... I know Nike has that one and has really deep pockets so I would refuse that request but... there is no way to investigate every saying request at a fair!

Maybe it would be safer to allow names only?

Just in the planning stages now and looking at all the pros and cons.

Thanks, Cathy:D
I doubt anyone would really want to go after the profits from a single t-shirt!! :D Just don't like a customer's idea too much and put out an entire line, or the customer might come after you! LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts