T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i have an issue regarding sa opaque paint.. kc ganto un.. its a two color design .. on my first try i used a wetlook over opaque and the opaque paint peeled off .. 2nd try used a opaque over opaque paint also peeled off.. all paints are water based.. need help .. tnx in advance
-photo is the design-:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I dont really understand what your problems are or the process you are using....also its "ink" not "paint" printers use ink , painters use paint....with that said..we need to know more info as to what your process is and how you are printing and curing the ink...explain the process step by step and maybe someone will have an answer for your problems..... :)

Inked

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Can't say about waterbased inks, but with plastisols, if the underbase is overflashed, the top print will often come off in the wash. The ink needs something to grip, and the ink itself is too slick once cured. It could be the same with waterbased. Why not try printing the first color, lightly curing it just enough to keep it from lifting on your finger, then printing the second, then a long cure and a wash test to check? Can't hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could just be a curing problem. Waterbased inks need the water forced out before they will cure. You should see it steam for a minute or 2 and then die down. The ink will then start to cure. Typically, you need a forced air type of drier to do the job well. I'm not sure a heat press will allow the water/steam to escape. I only do small runs of shirts and use a heat gun to cure my inks which has worked pretty well so far. It's just slow.

Do you apply pressure to the shirt with the heat press, or leave it hovering just above the shirt? How long are you curing?

The opaque inks are pretty thick and take me about 50% longer to cure than the translucent ones. If your layering opaque on opaque, that should take a MUCH longer time to cure than normal.

I have had a few shirts where the top layer of ink has washed off of the underbase, and each time the problem was under curing. A little more time under the heat gun solved it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could just be a curing problem. Waterbased inks need the water forced out before they will cure. You should see it steam for a minute or 2 and then die down. The ink will then start to cure. Typically, you need a forced air type of drier to do the job well. I'm not sure a heat press will allow the water/steam to escape. I only do small runs of shirts and use a heat gun to cure my inks which has worked pretty well so far. It's just slow.

Do you apply pressure to the shirt with the heat press, or leave it hovering just above the shirt? How long are you curing?

The opaque inks are pretty thick and take me about 50% longer to cure than the translucent ones. If your layering opaque on opaque, that should take a MUCH longer time to cure than normal.

I have had a few shirts where the top layer of ink has washed off of the underbase, and each time the problem was under curing. A little more time under the heat gun solved it.
i cure the ink for about less than one minute or less maybe 30s ? yes i apply pressure.. ill try to cure the inks wid much more time and then see results tnx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try to simply mix opaque and wetlook ink. If you're printing on dark colored shirts, Opaque ink should be like 75% and wetlook like 25%. If it's a white shirt or light colored. You can simply use all wetlook.
its a two color design so i used black wetlook ink as an underbase and of course opaque red on top .

·
Registered
7 Posts
if im not mistaken usually black goes last in all designs. remeber Dark prints on top of light better than light prints on top of Dark

·
Registered
372 Posts
your water base is not curing. It needs to air dry before applying heat. Wether it's forced air or simply letting it set. Black is never used for an under base. An under base is like a primer/ undercoat. I thin you just mean your printing black first? For the most part always print your lighter colors first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your water base is not curing. It needs to air dry before applying heat. Wether it's forced air or simply letting it set. Black is never used for an under base. An under base is like a primer/ undercoat. I thin you just mean your printing black first? For the most part always print your lighter colors first.
ok thx i think ill try that :D tnx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts