T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fabric artist and seamstress but I don't have the money to go out and get a heat press. I've done screen printing by hand the old fashioned way one hand made screen at a time and I've also done just direct to garment hand painting but as you can imagine the work involved means there is no real profit, especially when a lot of jobs are custom done for just one to a few people not 100s of the same design.

I was wondering if there is any company that can print on clothing that you supply to them as well as the designs and it would be just one thing at a time here and there? I know...that's sorta asking a lot I guess but I was just curious if there are any companies that would do one off specialty jobs. I'm also located in Arkansas so finding someone locally...might be near impossible.

You see, I design and often sew my own clothing and then I custom dye most of my items in both silk and cotton but sometimes people want special designs on them which I have no problem designing but I have no way to get it onto the garment unless I hand paint it....again...time consuming and any profit I would make goes bye bye.

People don't really want to pay for my time to paint their child's name and a cute little character on a baby's romper for example. Also, doing it myself and using an iron on transfer printed off my computer and ink jet is not an option...those are less than professional looking and it takes away from the overall quality of the rest of the handmade and hand dyed garment in most cases. Maybe I'm too picky? But as an artist quality is important to me, the only problem...being an artist...I don't have money to burn to buy everything I need straight away. I had been saving for a heat press actually but recently a home repair emergency wiped out that little fund. :(

So I'm open to suggestions of a company that might do this or even other ideas that maybe I haven't thought of to get the designs onto a garment without cutting too much into profits.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Sounds like DTG printing would be the best option for this. It's probably worth pursuing a sample and seeing if it suits you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Craftmouse, Direct to Garment sound perfect for you. Don't send the garment, just the panels that you can then cut and align and sow. I don't remember the size of the DTG table we have but its about 12X16 inches. If you create your art to fill the whole area then it could work. Best of luck, John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think perhaps that *might* work for my needs but...not for everything unfortunately. I really just need to save up the money I need for everything I want to do but I just don't see that happening anytime in the near future due to my current job situation. It's a LONG story but I chose sanity and health and a much lower paying much less stressful job, over a higher paying (by about 3 times what I make now) job as an executive with *lots* of money and no time to spend it. I had constant issues with a stomach ulcer, migraines and other illnesses brought on by too much stress. So now...I'm always broke with all these things I want to do but can't. I didn't do them when I worked the other job coz I had no time for a hobby...or i'd have bought the things I needed way back when. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts