T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I can get my hands on a cheap Epson Stylus Photo 1290. Its an old 6 color A3+ printer. At the moment I have a stylus cx5500 (OEM durabrite ink) but thats only A4 size.

Its natively a dye based ink, I will only buy it if I can change it to pigment based ink.

I saw some Pigment based CIS systems for this printer, such as Epson / SP Models (Stylus Photo) / 1290 -- InkJetCarts Online Store but I don't really understand how they sell a 4 color CIS conversion system (when its a 6 color printer) then also sell the inks as a set of 6.. anyone have a similar printer and if so what CIS pigment based system would be best?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 1280 which is very similar to the 1290. I also bought a CIS for mine. The 4 color CIS system is actually 6 color. The one I got was on ebay for around $40. It came with all 6 colors and the cartridge that plugs into the slot resets the chip to 100% when it reaches 10%.
Right now I have each color loaded as they are assigned, but plan on getting another CIS for just black output for making positives. For no more money they cost on ebay, it is worth having multiple CIS setups to use for this printer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to hear, is it pigment or dye inks you currently use? any issues with head clogs? Are you able to post an ebay link to the one you have? thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Reaper, you can also call Ross at the link you posted. He's got alot of current customers on here, almost ALL good to great feedback regarding his knowledge. A huge thing after the purchase of a CIS is support. These things don't always install easy and Ross has a great reputation for helping you thru the process and get you up and running smoothly. That's what I've read and heard from many friends here who purchase from him. If I go carts, I am going with him. One thing is for sure, if there is a question on that CIS in the link, Ross can answer it for you, and would be glad to. Good luck. It's great to save money with bulk inks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bulk INK FOR 1270 1280 1290 900T007 T009 cis ciss - eBay (item 380232017670 end time Jun-08-10 08:30:34 PDT)

They install very easily...if you can turn on your printer and change a standard cartridge, then you will be able to install this CIS.

The thing that takes to longest is to prime and get all of the tubes full of ink and free of air bubbles. Continual head cleaning and test prints takes care of the problem, but it is warned to not over clean your head as it may result in damage. I went thru the head cleaning procedure over 30 times with no troubles. It didn't take that long to remove the bubbles, the print head I had was all dried up, as my printer was setting for months before I actually set it up for printing.

I have looked at the various CIS packages and after installing the one I got from ebay for under $40, I see no reason to pay more unless you just want to pay more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts