T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the local Old Navy this afternoon while the wife was looking for a pair of pants when I decided to check out their tees. Has anybody seen them lately? They've got at least a 6.0oz feel, they're rocking their own labels, they're screened with up to two colors, and have some kind of three dimensional accent on them in the form of this fuzzy type stuff or embroidery. (I'm really curious about the fuzzy stuff if anybody has any idea what it is/how to apply it... BTW)

The kicker is that they were selling for $12.50... (2 for $20) and that includes XXL. Is it because they're made in Madagascar and they're probably manufacturing thousands at a time?

What's the deal?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Old Navy makes a poor quality product in my (very limited) experience. And yes, they are definately making thousands at a time.

The fuzzy stuff might be flock. Flock can be cut in a vinyl cutter and applied with a heat press.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twinge: what do you mean by poor quality? the designs fade/shirts shrink? Some of the ink had a plastiky <sp?> feel to it. Is that what you're talking about? I'm pretty curious because it seemed like the shirts were of decent quality. Especially for the price. I didn't really dig any of the designs though. ;)

DickTees: are you able to screen press with this sueded ink? how does it handle through the wash?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I visited an Old Navy this weekend as well. The prices you quoted are not their regular t-shirt prices, and the sale signs I saw indicated this. They are blowing them out to get ready for their fall line. They also do this from time to time when they are about to bring in a new line of their shirts.

The regular price is $18.50 per tee.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sackwear.com said:
I visited an Old Navy this weekend as well. The prices you quoted are not their regular t-shirt prices, and the sale signs I saw indicated this. They are blowing them out to get ready for their fall line. They also do this from time to time when they are about to bring in a new line of their shirts.

The regular price is $18.50 per tee.
Good call man. I must have missed that it was promotional but it makes sense. Boy they had a ton of em out here and it didn't look like they were in danger of selling out any time soon so who knows where they'll end up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a few Old Navy t-shirts. One in particular has faded terribly... the logo is almost unreadable at this point. It has also sprung a few holes. Then again it's nearly 7 years old. I'd say for a shirt to stand up to 200 or so washings and wearings and still be able to hang as a "yard work shirt" is a pretty good example of Old Navy's quality. I've never had a problem with any of their merchandise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RAHchills said:
The kicker is that they were selling for $12.50... (2 for $20) and that includes XXL. Is it because they're made in Madagascar and they're probably manufacturing thousands at a time?

What's the deal?
being from the uk - have no knowledge of Old Navy (apart from being owned by Gap) - but in relation to price point and manufacturing...it's probably not just becuase they're making 1000's of them - but it's where they're making them and by who! in other words, exploiting workers in sweat-shop conditions!

we produce 100% organic cotton T-shirts, that are made responsibly in India (the employees get paid a fair wage/there's a pension scheme/health scheme/maternity scheme/good light and air conditions etc) - they do cost more (though they're on a par with other 'designer' T-shirts) than normal cotton sweat-shop made T-shirts...but we sleep easier at night knowing that we're doing it responsibly!

check out our site - see if you think it's worth it?
also check out our ethical links page - and find out more on sweat-shop free manufacturing and join in the campaign!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old Navy's shirts go through a huge process when being made, I doubt they are cheap. After printing the body of the shirts they sew the arms and colors on, then they wash every single one of them before packaging them up to send out across the country. I believe they are made in the Dominican Republic among other cheap labored countries.

I do believe it was flock that you felt on the shirts and believe me, it is a VERY messy process. I deal with it 3 of 5 days during the week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts