T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after all these months of Angel, aka BroJames, pointing out the advantages of line tables with 3 point registration, I decided to convert one of the underscreen reg presses I built for the last project to a classic line style table top; however, since I'm not too coordinated I decided I needed something to trap the screen in place. The answer I came up with is rare earth magnets, which I salvaged from a couple dead hard drives.

Here's some pics and a short video of the prototype:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-T_yLIUR5A[/media]Oh, and a print pulled on it:

I'm pretty stoked with the way it came out and performs...Now on to a real version with a bit more spacing between the platen and backstop.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nice work doc! The magnet thing is an idea I've had for ages but as I'm accustomed to using a push stroke and couldn't think of a practical way to make it work on the scale I need I never really bothered trying to implement it.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The answer I came up with is rare earth magnets, which I salvaged from a couple dead hard drives.
Doctor! You been busy!

Now you should try that four color process with this set up.

You should know though that I know the guy who invented earth magnets. Don't know if he's seen this post but when he does he's gonna be maaaaaaaaad!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doctor! You been busy!

Now you should try that four color process with this set up.

You should know though that I know the guy who invented earth magnets. Don't know if he's seen this post but when he does he's gonna be maaaaaaaaad!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ha ha ha ha ha ha....is he/she going to call me names and try to make me deaf too? :p

Workin' the 4 color thing, so far I just suck :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work doc! The magnet thing is an idea I've had for ages but as I'm accustomed to using a push stroke and couldn't think of a practical way to make it work on the scale I need I never really bothered trying to implement it.
As simple as it is I figured someone else had to have thought of doing it. The next one I build is going to have an adjustable x-axis post and a wider y-axis so I have more latitude in using different parts of the screen. Maybe that's how I'll spend this afternoon!:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mission accomplished. Now the registration can be shifted about the platen at will. Next step, 4 color process...of course I do have two team jobs pending for summer cycling events.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a complete screen printing newb. I built cyclesurgeon's original press then just "upgraded" to the new magnetic registration one. Printed about 15-20 one-color shirts (white on dark) for some friends and the results were great. Yeah, I had a few issues initially, like not having strong enough magnets so that when I used a pull stroke I pulled the screen off, but once I changed up the magnets the results were pretty good I thought for someone that never printed before.

If you're thinking of giving it a try, do it! Well worth the small amount of time expended.

Rich

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Nicely done. I received a phone call from someone starting out who had next to no money, and I told him he'd be better off looking at line table presses on this forum and building one, rather than spend money on a cheap carousel press that would give him problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.